These versatile breakfast burritos are the perfect meal prep recipe. Theyâ€™re super easy to customize and full of so much flavor. You really canâ€™t go wrong with this make ahead, delicious, on the go breakfast idea.
Who would like an easy pull-out-of-the-freezer breakfast idea? And what if we told you this meal is loaded with your classic favoritesâ€¦ scrambled eggs, breakfast sausage, sautÃ©ed onions and peppers, and even diced potatoes?
Thankfully breakfast burritos not only contain all our breakfast favorites, but they are also ready in minutes!
Thankfully a friend peaked my interest with this breakfast idea a few years ago.
Can you believe I had never heard of these, let alone tried one? And in the past couple years I've finally found gluten free tortillas these taste dreamy in and don't fall into a million pieces.
So many tortillas just fall apart when you wrap up the burritos. That's not the case with the gluten free Mission brand tortillas we prefer using. I find these in many big chain grocery stores and on Amazon.
breakfast burritos ingredients + tools
- eggs-- use large eggsÂ
- breakfast sausage-- use your favorite brand or whatever you have on hand. We like using Mulayâ€™s Breakfast Sausage because itâ€™s certified gluten free, soy free, dairy free, and no MSG
- diced hash browns-- we prefer Ore-Ida Diced Hash Browns as theyâ€™re gluten free and you can check out their manufacturing statement here.Â
- oil-- we like to use grapeseed oil or olive oil
- onion-- add whatever you prefer, red, white, yellow, etc.Â
- red pepper-- feel free to grab yours from your garden or grocery
- green pepper-- again, grab yours at your garden or store
- salt and pepper-- our favorite is Kosher salt but you can use Himalayan, iodized, whatever you have on hand
- gluten and dairy free tortillas-- we love using Mission gluten free tortillas
- nice set of knives for dicing ingredients-- we love to use Zelite knives. Weâ€™ve shared about them over on Instagram- have you checked it out yet?Â
- sturdy cutting board-- youâ€™ll always find us cutting on a nice one
- aluminum foil-- only if freezing your burritos
how do you keep a breakfast burrito from getting soggy?
One of the biggest questions we had when making a burrito is, how do you keep all the yummy goodies inside without letting the whole burrito get soggy?
And this question is super popular when we are talking about making this as a meal prep recipe.
If youâ€™re making freezer burritos, this is a popular thing to worry about.
But here are our tips to help keep your breakfast taco in perfect edible condition.
Itâ€™s all about knowing how to store and reheat your burritos properly.
If eating now, let the filling cool down some and roll tightly to help keep out moisture.
If using as a meal prep recipe, or a freezer meal recipe:
- Let your filling ingredients cool to room temperature.
- Warm your gluten free tortilla for 20 seconds in the microwave.
- Place the filling inside.
- Wrap in your tortilla.
- Then wrap with aluminum foil.
- To help get a crispy tortilla when reheating, use a toaster oven or oven for reheating.
- Otherwise we reheat in the microwave and top with salsa and dairy free sour cream.
what do you serve with breakfast burritos?
While these can be a meal by themselves, you can also choose to serve them with other items. Try some of these ideas:
- Fruit display (get an idea from our dessert charcuterie board)
- Sweet Potato Hash (heck, you could even put this as a filling variation!)
- Fruit Pizza
how long are burritos for breakfast good for?
If your burritos last longer than ours, or youâ€™re making a big batch like we like to do, you can keep them in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if stored properly.
If you want to freeze them, theyâ€™ll last about 3-4 months if stored properly in the freezer. Again, let contents cool, use aluminum foil and then we put in a freezer safe Gallon size Ziploc bag to help keep them from getting freezer burned.
Always remember to label your food with the date you made it, what it is and the date you need to eat it by.
more delicious add-in ideas:
Furthermore this recipe is versatile to include your familyâ€™s favorite breakfast foods! There are countless add-in ideas or substitutions such as:
- crumbed bacon bits
- dairy free cheese - add in your favorite dairy free shreds
- diced ham
- diced potatoes
- diced onion
- refried beans
- pico de gallo
- hot sauce
- garnishesâ€“top with dollops of salsa, avocado, or dairy free sour cream (there are a few great sour cream brands on the market right now. My go-to is by Wayfare.)
7 reasons why these should be in your freezer
- for easy meals during camping trips
- to take on road trips just store in a iced cooler
- when company visits and breakfast time is limited
- for those back-to-school early morning breakfasts
- to heat up at work for lunch break
- for college students needing a prepared breakfast
- a quick meal for those â€œbreakfast for dinnerâ€ kind of nights
more gluten + dairy free recipes
- the best chicken pot pieâ€“youâ€™ll love this flaky crust and how comforting and filling it is. This is one of our most popular recipes on Pinterest.
- taco tater tot skilletâ€“the kids love this meal and thereâ€™s only one pan to clean up.
- sâ€™more cookie barsâ€“now you can enjoy sâ€™mores year round with this mouthwatering bar recipe.
more gluten and dairy free breakfast ideas
- Yeast Free Cinnamon Rolls
- French Toast Sticks
- Double Chocolate Donuts
- Oreo Donuts
- Fruity Pebble Donuts
- Cinnamon Swirl Waffles
- Double Chocolate Muffins
Right now we have these stocked in the freezer for an upcoming glamping trip. These will be handy, quick, and easy to reheat on the mornings weâ€™re planning on hiking.
As you can tell one really canâ€™t go wrong with this recipe idea. Breakfast burritos work well for everyone.
Make them exactly how you want them, change them up each time, never get tired of the same thing each time, quick on the go breakfast, meal plan recipe.
Itâ€™s just an all around winner of a recipe.
Go ahead and make these now. Your future self will thank you.
We donâ€™t want you to miss out on the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
- 12 eggs, scrambled
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned, crumbled, and drained
- 1 16 oz diced hash browns, cooked
- 2 tablespoon oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 14 gluten and dairy free tortillas suggestion in post
- In large skillet heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and stir.
- Once onion becomes translucent add in diced peppers. Stir occasionally until tender. Then add in scrambled eggs, hash browns, and ground sausage. Mix well.
- If eating immediately, warm tortillas in the microwave and serve with the burrito mixture and top with garnishes.
- If freezing to enjoy later allow the egg mixture to completely cool. Then heat tortillas and add the egg mixture. Roll them into a burrito, and wrap in aluminum foil. Place in a gallon size Ziploc bag and transfer to the freezer.
- When ready to eat frozen breakfast burritos place in the microwave and heat for 2 minutes or until heated through.
- Optional: garnish with salsa and dairy free sour cream.
- Heating gluten free tortillas helps them to be more pliable and break or crumble which is common with some gluten free tortilla brands.