Get ready to enjoy a delicious one-pot breakfast recipe that is amazing. This Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash is easy to make and uses all the best, filling breakfast ingredients, like sweet potatoes, apple, onion, bell peppers, and everyone’s favorite, BACON!
This is an easy breakfast recipe that is filled with veggies and some of your favorite breakfast meats. We love being able to chop everything up and then only have to dirty up one big pan on the stove.
Knowing that this is an allergy-safe, gluten and dairy free breakfast recipe it’s hard not to want to cook it up all the time. This Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash Dish has become a staple for breakfast in our house, especially when we have busy weekends. Whip this up in the morning with all fresh ingredients, enjoy it as a family, and off you go with a fully belly to get your errands done.
sweet potato breakfast hash ingredients
- sweet potatoes
- bacon— the quality of your bacon matters. We use Pederson’s which we can find at our local Natural Grocers. Always check your bacon to ensure that it’s allergen friendly as this is an item many brands like to sneak gluten into.
- apple— you can use whatever apple variety you have on hand, we prefer sweet apples
- onion— we prefer to use a white/yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- bell pepper— use whatever color you have on hand, we like to use a yellow and green peppers, but orange and red work too
- cooking oil— we use grapeseed oil and enjoy its high heat cooking flexibility, coconut oil works too
- sharp knifeâ€” this helps make chopping all the ingredients faster, more efficient and easier on you.
- cutting boardâ€” have one ready to go for all these ingredients that need prepped
- medium size skillet
frequently asked questions
can you make this dish ahead of time?
This is a great meal to prep ahead of time. If you want to, you can dice the vegetables and keep in an air-tight container in the refrigerator overnight to help make this dish even easier for the morning.
what’s the easiest way to prepare bacon
We have tried every way you can think of to prepare bacon including baking in our oven. Our family enjoys bacon best prepared on the griddle. It’s always crispy and perfect. This is the griddle we use for not only bacon, but also pancakes, French toast, and other recipes.
can you double this recipe?
You sure can. Like we mentioned above, this recipe is great for meal prep and is easy to prep ahead of time. Now, if you want to double this recipe, you can have some for now and some for later, again great for prepping multiple meals to use throughout the week or for serving to a large crowd.
You can easily double or even triple this recipe and it will turn out great each time. Just make sure that you have a pan large enough to cook altogether or batch cook it if needed.
how do you store this?
We recommend storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If stored properly, this recipe should be good for about 5-6 days in the refrigerator.
You can reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop to bring back the crispness of all the ingredients.
can you add other things to your breakfast sweet potato hash?
Absolutely! If you have some more favorite breakfast ingredients that you want to toss in that are gluten and dairy free, feel free to do so.
We suggest trying things like other colored bell peppers, sausage, eggs and spinach. Always check the ingredients in your sausage and other meats to ensure no hidden dairy or gluten are to be found.
more delicious breakfast recipes
breakfast burritosâ€” these are always a hit and another meal that is perfect for prepping ahead. Fill your burrito with all your favorite breakfast burrito ingredients and it’s sure to be a hit
banana breadâ€” this is a classic, make-ahead sweet bread that’s perfect when you need breakfast on the go. Want another fun variation? Try our Chocolate Banana bread!
fruity pebble donutsâ€” not just a kid favorite, adults go crazy for these donuts too. They’re fun to make and who doesn’t love some fruity pebbles and donuts
yeast-free cinnamon rollsâ€” this is the ultimate weekend or holiday breakfast. So yummy, light, fluffy and packed with gooey cinnamon sugar inside
gingerbread pancakesâ€” super easy to make warm and fluffy Gingerbread Pancakes that bring all the festive Christmas vibes.
We hope that this easy sweet potato breakfast one pot meal fills and warms your belly, but also brings you a sense of peace and ease of cooking and eating a dairy and gluten free lifestyle.
We know that it can feel complicated at times, but that’s why we’re here to bring you all the stress free breakfast, side dish, appetizers, dinner recipes, desserts and more recipes that you can try out.
We’re happy to help you along this journey and excited to be bringing you more recipes you and your family will love.
To make cooking and baking even easier, we’ve put together some of our top recipes and a special one, just for you, in our new cookbook, The Classics: Safe Versions of Your Favorite Recipes.
It’s directly delivered to your inbox and you’ll have more breakfast, desserts and dinners at your fingertips in no time.
We don’t want you to miss out on the absolute best of Eating Gluten and Dairy Free.
Eat well and fell well,
Sweet Potato Hash
- 6-8 pieces bacon
- 1 large apple washed, peeled, and cubed
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 shallot chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 bell pepper washed and diced
- salt and ground pepper taste
- optional– top with shredded dairy free cheese or eggs of your choice
- Cook bacon until crisp. Cube bacon and set aside.
- Saute cubed apples in bacon fat. Set aside when slightly browned, but crunchy.
- Add cooking oil, if needed, and cook garlic, shallots, onions, and sweet potatoes together until onions are translucent.
- Add cubed peppers and cook until soft and slightly crispy.
- Add bacon and apples to rewarm. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container.
Keep scrolling below to sign up for our exclusive emails.
Tuesday 2nd of November 2021
I'm more than happy to find this web site. I need to to thank you for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely savored every bit of it and i also have you saved as a favorite to see new things on your website.