I scream, You scream, We all scream for… homemade banana bread. Please tell me that doesn’t just happen in my house?
When it comes down to it, my kids beg and plead for this moist and delicious homemade bread. And then when they finally get their hands on a slice there’s so.much.boisterous.screaming. It’s kind of like all mayhem breaks loose until they’ve had their fill and the loaf is finished off. So it comes as no surprise then this is a food staple for us.
And honestly what’s not to love? This bakery-style bread is moist, dense, and full of banana flavor. It’s also worth noting — there’s no wonky ingredients; matter of fact you probably have everything on hand to bake the perfect loaf.
homemade banana bread ingredients
- dairy free butter, Earth Balance Butter Sticks work well
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- overripe bananas
- gluten free all-purpose flour; any all-purpose flour mix should work well with this recipe. I baked with Josie’s Best Gluten Free Mix (the muffin & more mix) that can be purchased here
- xanthan gum (omit if your all-purpose flour has it)
- baking soda
- optional: chopped walnuts or dairy free chocolate chips
banana bread is perfect for
- breakfasts on the go
- midday snacks (my children’s favorite way to enjoy)
- and hello… the perfect dessert!
- traveling… just last week we enjoyed slices on an airplane trip and in our hotel room. It was so cozy to have something homemade.
- school snack for the kiddos
- work snacks, your coworkers will want in on a slice too
- workplace and church potlucks
- road trips
- bridal or baby shower brunches and
- really any excuse you can think of
more delicious recipes
A point often overlooked with banana bread is everyone loves it. It’s a classic that never goes out of style. You can even personalize this recipe to your own liking by adding chopped nuts or chocolate chips.
And if you’re looking for more gluten and dairy free recipes, be sure to explore my website and follow me on Pinterest. I’m adding new recipes to my gluten and dairy free boards all.the.time. You won’t believe all the gluten and dairy free options we have.
If you found this recipe or any of my other recipes helpful, would you please leave me rating below? Thank you.
Eat well and feel well,
- ½ c dairy free butter room temperature
- ¾ c brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 ripe bananas mushed 2⅓ c mashed bananas
- 2 c gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum omit if your gf all-purpose flour already has this
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- optional: chopped walnuts or ¾ c of dairy free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9" x 5" loaf pan and set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Add in the vanilla, eggs, and mashed bananas. Mix well.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, xanthan gum if needed, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.
- Add the dry ingredients and any chopped walnuts or chocolate chips to the wet mixture and mix just until incorporated. Place additional nuts or chocolate chips on top of the loaf batter.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf pan comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and add more chocolate chips.
- Allow the bread to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing from the pan and cooling on a wire rack. This bread will taste wonderful for a few days at room temperate. To extend the fresh taste refrigerate it.
- Serve with dairy free butter or enjoy as is. Store in an airtight container 3-4 days.