This beautiful and delicious Fruit Pizza is a summer must! With a soft, sugar cookie crust, delicious cream cheese spread, and all your favorite fresh fruits-- what could taste any better?
Seriously-- this dessert is brimming with fresh fruit and mouthwatering flavor.
And what better time to serve this pizza than now as we head into our favorite time of the year-- fresh fruit season.
Use fresh fruit gathered from your garden, the Farmer's Market, or the local grocer for a dessert bursting with flavor.
You can't go wrong with a giant cookie topped with fruit. And the fruits you can pick from are endless.
This is such a fun dessert everyone will love.
And we love this sugar cookie crust. Did you know it's the same recipe we use for our Soft Sugar Cookies. This is a no fail cookie dough recipe we've been using for several years.
fruit pizza ingredients
- coconut oil
- granulated sugar
- egg-- room temperature
- vanilla extract
- dairy free sour cream-- we use Tofutti in this sugar cookie recipe. Forager and Wayfare are both soy free as well.
- gluten free sweet white rice flour-- we use the Bob's Red Mill brand available here. This "sticky rice" is a must for this recipe. We don't recommend substituting it with another gluten free flour.
- xanthan gum
- baking soda-- this loses its potency after being opened for 6 months. Be sure to label the box when it's opened so your baked goods keep looking and tasting delicious.
- baking powder-- same as above
- dairy free butter-- our go-to is Earth Balance Buttery Sticks in the red box; this is also soy free
- dairy free cream cheese-- Kite Hill is our favorite safe brand. Use your favorite in this recipe.
- powdered sugar
- fresh lemon juice-- this is optional in the cream cheese spread; it does add a hint of lemon to each bite
- fruits of choice-- we used sliced strawberries, well-drained canned mandarin oranges, kiwi, purple grapes cut in half, blueberries, and raspberries
- optional glaze-- an apricot jelly and honey glaze; this gives your fruit extra shine, but not necessary
- round pizza pan-- we use these Wilton pizza pans for this recipe. 12.25 x .5 inch
- nonstick spray
fruit pizza instructions
sugar cookie crust
In a standup mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil until creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Then add in the sugar and mix well. Now add in the egg and incorporate. Place the vanilla extract and sour cream into the mixer and combine.
Next add in the sweet white rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the mixer. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Once the cookie dough is well combined, place plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Using nonstick spray lightly coat the pizza pan. Transfer the dough onto the pan. The dough will be very sticky. Place parchment paper or Press'n Seal wrap over the top of the dough and press the dough evenly into all parts of the pan.
Bake for 7-9 minutes until the top is lightly golden. And trust us-- set a timer for while the dough is in oven. If left in too long this dough quickly becomes rock hard. Remove the pizza pan from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow the sugar cookie crust to cool completely before frosting.
cream cheese spread
Using a hand mixer blend the dairy free butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Then add in the powdered sugar, fresh lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Cream for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
Allow the spread to thicken for 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator. Then evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the sugar cookie. Cover and refrigerate the pizza pan until ready to top with sliced fruit and serve.
fresh fruit tips
Wash and dry fruit before slicing and decorating the Fruit Pizza. When using canned mandarin oranges, drain and dry well to remove any excess moisture.
Arrange fruit in any pattern you like. We find it's easiest to start from the outside edge and work in.
To give your fruit extra shine, stir together the honey and apricot jelly, and lightly brush over the Fruit Pizza.
Then serve this as slices of pizza or cut into squares.
can this be made ahead of time
The sugar cookie and cream cheese spread can be made a day or two ahead when covered and refrigerated. We recommend placing the fresh fruit on the pizza just before serving.
The fruit does start to release juices that will discolor the cream cheese spread and make the sugar cookie soggy.
how do I keep fruit pizza from getting soggy
You can prepare the sugar cookie crust and cream cheese spread ahead of time. But we recommend adding the slices of fruit just before serving for the best-tasting Fruit Pizza ever.
Adding fruit to the pizza too far in advance will make the sugar cookie soggy.
best fruits for fruit pizza
Strawberries, mandarin oranges, raspberries, mangoes, peaches, kiwi, grapes, blackberries, pineapple, blueberries, and even papaya.
more fruit inspired desserts everyone loves
- blueberry galettes-- these rustic little pies are also bursting with delicious fruit flavor. Top with a dollop of your favorite dairy free ice cream for a bonus treat.
- banana pudding-- enjoy bite after bite of this classic chilled dessert topped with sliced fresh bananas and vanilla wafers
- lemon poppy seed bread-- this lemony bread looks and tastes just like large bakery-style slices. You can't go wrong with this bread or the delicious icing.
- strawberry rhubarb crumble-- a spring and summertime favorite in our home, this crumble recipe is absolutely mouthwatering. Pin this recipe now for the weekend.
- homemade apple crisp-- bake this classic dessert year-round. Enjoy warm tender apple slices with brown sugar, oats, and melted butter.
quick, easy gluten + dairy free dinner ideas
- lasagna soup-- one pot soup that's always a hit and just as cozy and delicious as a baked lasagna
- taco bake-- this flavorful meal is ready in minutes and a reader favorite. Top it with all your taco favorites.
- sloppy joes-- you'll enjoy this perfectly flavored ground hamburger with diced onions, ketchup, mustard, and other seasonings between warm, toasted buttery buns
- oriental chicken salad-- this copycat Applebee's salad boosts fresh crunchy greens, carrots, grilled chicken, and a delicious oriental dressing. This will be your favorite salad.
When you need a beautiful show stopper dessert that's also delicious, make this Fruit Pizza.
Use this recipe for Mother's Day, the 4th of July, your next summer pool party or BBQ. Honestly-- make this anytime. You won't be disappointed.
Sugar Cookie Ingredients
- ¼ c coconut oil not melted
- ⅔ c granulated sugar
- 1 egg room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ c +2 tbsp dairy free sour cream suggestions in post
- 1¾ c sweet white rice flour this flour is the key to this sugar cookie dough
- ⅛ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Spread
- ¼ c dairy free butter room temperature, suggestion in the post
- 4 oz dairy free cream cheese suggestion in the post
- 1½ c powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon optional- fresh lemon juice
- cut and slice your favorite fruits suggestions in post
Optional Fruit Glaze
- 1 tablespoon apricot jelly
- 2 tablespoon honey
Sugar Cookie Crust Instructions
- In a standup mixing bowl, beat the coconut oil until creamy, scraping down the sides of the bowl often. Then add in the sugar and mix well.
- Now add in the egg and incorporate. Place the vanilla extract and sour cream into the mixer and combine.
- Next add in the sweet white rice flour, xanthan gum, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into the mixer. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Once the cookie dough is well combined, place plastic wrap over the bowl and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Bake for 7-9 minutes until the top is lightly golden. We suggest setting a timer for this step. The dough will become rock hard if left in the oven too long. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow the sugar cookie crust to cool completely before frosting.
Cream Cheese Spread
- Using a hand mixer blend the dairy free butter and cream cheese together until smooth.
- Then add in the powdered sugar, vanilla extract and optional fresh lemon juice. Cream for about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides and bottom of the bowl.
- Allow the spread to thicken for 20 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Next evenly spread the cream cheese mixture over the sugar cookie. Then cover and refrigerate the frosted cookie until ready to decorate with fruit and serve.
Fruit Fruit Tips
- Wash and dry fruit before slicing and decorating the Fruit Pizza. When using canned mandarin oranges, drain and dry well to remove any excess moisture.
- Arrange fruit in any pattern you like. We find it's easiest to start from the outside edge and work in.
Optional Fruit Glaze
- To give your fruit extra shine, stir together the honey and apricot jelly, and lightly brush over Fruit Pizza.Then serve this like slices of pizza or cut into smaller squares.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers up to 1-2 days. This dessert is best the day of.