Who doesn't love biting into crispy, crunchy tater tots with hints of Mexican flavor?? Watch out Taco Tuesday, this easy One Pot Tater Tot Skillet brings full-on Mexican flavor to any weeknight dinner with each savory bite. Enjoy tater tots, ground beef, black beans, corn, garlic, cumin, oregano, and... of course, would it be Mexican food without some zesty Enchilada Sauce??
If you're looking for a new taco recipe with a twist, this is for you. The top layer of tater tots adds wonderful flavor and a slight crunch to this taco tater tot skillet recipe.
Honestly, the Mexican flavors make this meal absolutely delicious.
This is a must pin and print recipe! Keep reading to see how amazing this dish is.
Not only is this recipe easy, filling, and comforting, it's also full of so much flavor, ready for the oven in minutes. You won't have any problems preparing this meal after work or between sports practices.
And really, who doesn't love another one-dish recipe? I'm tired of cleaning just one pan after dinner, said no.one.ever.
However, if you don't have an oven skillet that can go from the range to a heated oven, this recipe will easily conform to a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.
taco tater tot ingredients
- ground beef
- garlic clove
- chili powder-- always double check your spices are gluten free and dairy free
- dried oregano
- tomato sauce
- black beans
- corn-- fresh, canned, or frozen
- enchilada sauce - enchilada sauces seem to come in many different sized cans. We prefer using the Hatch 15 oz. Organic Red Mild Enchilada Sauce when we eat this, found here. But any gluten free sauce will do. Even a smaller 10 oz. can will work fine.
- tater tots-- these Ore-Ida are our favorite and here is their allergen statement. But whatever your favorite gluten free tater tot brand is will work wonderfully for this recipe. Typically, we have a few tater tots left over in the bag after making this recipe. If you're using a different size skillet or pan, you might use them all.
- taco seasoning- If you're new to eating gluten free, take note -- most taco seasoning packets have gluten and/or dairy in them. Silliest thing ever, right?! So always check ingredients if you're looking at taco seasoning packets.
- optional dairy free sour cream - Our fave dairy free sour cream is Wayfare or the Forager. Both are creamy and used in several of our recipes.
- garnishes-- diced green onions or fresh cilantro
taco tater tot skillet recipe tips
- cast iron skillet - this is a kitchen must have. If you know how to cook with cast iron, youâ€™ll be in business. We use it weekly.
- baking dish 9x13-inch - if you donâ€™t have cast iron, you can easily make this in a regular 9 x 13-inch baking dish.
- Serving spoon - grab yourself a good serving spoon that washes nicely. It helps make cleaning a breeze.
- Measuring spoons- you always need a nice set of measuring spoons to use in the kitchen.
what do you put on top of tater tots?
This recipe is so easy to customize to include your favorites too! Such as dairy free sour cream, fresh cilantro, or even diced green onions.
If youâ€™re after some serious heat, add in diced green chilies.
Or if youâ€™ve found an amazing dairy free cheese, add in 1-2 cups of shredded cheese to the meat sauce before layering with tater tots.
However, this recipe doesnâ€™t need cheese. You wonâ€™t even miss it in this skillet.
can you reheat and eat this as leftovers?
Not surprisingly this recipe is wonderful reheated for leftovers. You just can't go wrong with this recipe.
Just as simple as it was to make this dish, itâ€™s super easy to reheat!
All you have to do is toss it all in the cast iron skillet, wrap it back up with aluminum foil and pop it back in the preheated oven and youâ€™ll have a nice crispy taco inspired tater tot casserole ready to enjoy.
are tater tots and hash browns the same thing?
No, while both tater tots and hash browns are made of potatoes, theyâ€™re actually different.
Hash browns are shoestring potatoes or shredded potatoes that are usually pressed together. While tater tots are usually fragments of potatoes, like little pods or cylinders.
can you use ground turkey?
Absolutely. If you have ground turkey on hand, feel free to substitute the ground beef for the turkey instead in this one pot meal.
more delicious taco-themed gluten and dairy free recipes
- An Easy Taco Skillet is the easiest homemade meal ever! It's the perfect recipe for camping too. I guarantee you'll love this one.
- Easy Enchiladas are made with shredded chicken and gluten free tortillas. And the Hatch red mild enchilada sauce is used in this recipe too!
- The Best Taco Bake recipe is easily customized to your Mexican favorites. You won't believe just how quick this dish comes together.
- A Crock-Pot Taco Soup is perfect for back-to-school and cold winter nights. The flavors of this soup are mouthwatering. Serve it with a dollop of dairy free sour cream and your favorite tortilla chips.
- A Chicken Burrito Bowl is so incredibly delicious, comforting, and letâ€™s not forget to mention theyâ€™re filling and packed with good clean ingredients.
- Oh my gosh, toss this Taco Skillet dish in some of these homemade Taco Salad Shells and youâ€™ve got one heck of a meal!
You'll quickly fall in love with this dish.
The enchilada sauce adds the perfect heat and flavor to the meat, black bean, and corn mixture.
And the top layer of tater tots becomes slightly crunchy while in the oven. Your taste buds will love you. You'll want to make this now
We donâ€™t want you to miss out on the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 15 oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
- 12 oz bag frozen corn
- 15 oz Hatch organic red mild enchilada sauce
- 32 oz bag frozen tater tots
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Brown beef and onion in a large oven-safe skillet. Drain when beef is fully cooked.
- Add in minced garlic and stir.
- Next add in all seasonings, tomato sauce, black beans, corn and enchilada sauce.
- Place frozen tater tots on top of the taco mixture. Place directly into the oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Variations: If using a 9 x 13 baking dish prepare taco mixture as directed. After spraying the baking dish with nonstick spray place taco mixture in dish and spread tater tots on top. Bake as noted above.
- Optional add ins: diced green chilies, dairy free shredded cheese. Top with diced green onions and dairy free sour cream.
These Nutritional Facts are ESTIMATED. Your actual nutritional info with this recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose. “Eating Gluten and Dairy Free” is not a registered dietician or nutritionist. The provided nutritional info above is based on a generic calculator, if you want more accurate info, use your nutritional calculator of choice where you can choose brands and get more info that way.