Mexican food… is the best.
Mexican food is its very own food melting pot of awesomeness. Just like this Crock-Pot Taco Soup recipe.
One of my favorite parts about this soup is you can add in what you love and keep out what you don’t. This soup is super versatile and delicious. You didn’t know gluten and dairy free could be so good!
So when our family is craving Mexican, I raid the pantry and refrigerator and pantry to fill the Crock-Pot with our favorite on hand items.
Why else is this gluten and dairy free taco soup all that?
First, it’s fabulous-tasting. It’s packed with vegetables and protein. It tastes fresh and is filling. The heat from the fire-roasted tomatoes makes this dish taste authentic… as in south-of-the-border authentic.
It’s also the perfect comfort food on a cold winter night. This is one of my favorite meals to make during our cold Montana winters. The combined texture and warmth of this soup will make it hard to stop eating one bowl.
Why else about this soup is so amazing you’ll want to bust out your Crock-Pot right now? It’s so, so easy to prepare! It’s one of the easiest dinner recipes I make. There’s nothing better than preparing this in the Crock-Pot the night before and then just turning it on in the morning as you head to work.
So when you’re reviewing this taco soup recipe, keep in mind there’s several different ways to prepare it. When my recipe calls for chicken… you can substitute ground beef or pork.
We do like to add a little fire to our soup. I either use fire-roasted diced tomatoes or diced tomatoes fire-roasted with chipotle peppers. If you like heat that will make you break out in a sweat, then use 2 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes. I tried 2 cans with my family before, and it was a little too much heat for my kids. So I adjusted the recipe to 1 can fire-roasted and 1 can diced tomatoes.
And my kids get crazy excited about taco soup because they know we’ll be busting open a bag of tortilla chips, too. We love to put chips in this soup recipe right before we enjoy it.
We sometimes garnish with a dollop of dairy free sour cream on top of each serving. Sprinkle with fresh cut cilantro or green onions to add extra flavor as well. Some might like to add guacamole.
Crock-Pot Taco Soup recipe ingredients
- chicken breasts
- bell peppers
- black beans
- Muir Glen organic diced tomatoes
- chicken stock
- optional–green onions, cilantro, jalapenos, dairy free sour cream
- this soup is delicious served with tortilla chips
As a side note…
This is your go-to recipe if you’re taking a road trip and looking to travel with pre-made meals.
I prepare a meal-size portion and freeze it. When we’re set to travel, I place it directly into our cooler from the freezer. Yes, still frozen. It’s that amazing and easy!
Placing it into your cooler frozen keeps everything else in the cooler cold, too. When you arrive at your destination, it’s either thawed or partly thawed. In the past year we’ve had both a 14 hour car ride and a 6 hour car ride. This pre-made soup worked perfectly on both trips. We’ve heated it up in hotel microwaves, and in a saucepan at an Airbnb. Woot woot!
more recipes you’ll love
- 6 delicious pantry meal ideas— these meals will give you the perfect dinner ideas when you forgot or just don’t have time to grocery shop
- sweet and sour meatballs— this is one of our family favorites. Anyone who’s tried it loves this meal recipe.
- the perfect mashed potatoes— believe it or not we use this recipe year round. We love these creamy mashed potatoes.
The taste of this soup will have everyone wanting several servings. And if there are leftovers, they taste wonderful the next day as the flavors have had more time to meld together.
We sure to sign up for my monthly emails and follow along on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. You don’t want to miss the best of gluten and dairy free
Eat well and feel well!
Gluten and Dairy Free Crock-Pot Taco Soup
- 3 chicken breasts
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 10 oz bag corn
- 1 14.5 can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 can diced tomatoes, fire-roasted or fire-roasted with chipotle peppers
- 2-3 bell peppers (any color), diced
- 1 qt chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- 3 tblsp chili powder
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- pepper to taste
- optician garnish- dairy free sour cream, green onions, cilantro, or jalapenos,
- Place chicken in Crock-Pot. Place all other ingredients on top of chicken.
- Lightly stir ingredients.
- Set Crock-Pot temperature setting to HIGH for 4-6 hours, or LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and shred into small pieces using a pair of forks. (Careful! The chicken will be hot.)
- Stir the shredded chicken back into the soup. Dish into serving bowls. Add garnishes and serve with tortilla chips.