Thick and smooth, this delicious homemade Oreo Milkshake combines the best of both the chocolate cookies and vanilla dairy free ice cream to craft the perfect homemade milkshake with chocolate sauce.
Not too long ago I realized I’d committed a serious mom fail. Quite honestly it stopped me in my tracks as I thought to myself, “How did this happen?”
You see while my family was visiting extended family in Salt Lake City. One evening we were feasting on burgers at a local burger shop.
That’s when my kids noticed one of our relatives enjoying a creamy milkshake with her meal. As in, stop the train — my kids just stared looking dumbfounded at this goodness in a cup.
They even asked her what she’d ordered and then it dawned on me. My kids had never seen a milkshake, let alone tasted one.
I couldn’t believe my daughter was 10 and never enjoyed a thick and creamy milkshake. It was in that moment I knew what I needed to do.
To put it another way, within a week I had purchased this milkshake maker from Amazon and was perfecting my recipes.
Of course, there were no qualms from the kids as they enjoyed every moment as official milkshake taste testers. Would it be any surprise then that my homemade oreo milkshake recipe quickly became one of our favorites?
This homemade oreo milkshake recipe is not only straight forward, but you’ll also find this recipe to be creamy and thick every time!
homemade oreo milkshake recipe notes
- dairy free ice cream –2 certified GF and vegan brands are So Delicious and Nada Moo!
- dairy free milk — we always have unsweetened almond milk on hand for such occasions, however use your favorite dairy free milk
- oreo sandwich cookies — gluten and dairy free brands include Glutino and Kinnikinnick KinniTOOS chocolate cream sandwich cookies. Keep in mind Glutino does manufacture their “oreo” cookies with other dairy products and doesn’t clarify their manufacturing process in regards to dairy, while KinniTOOS is a very allergen free friendly brand. You will find their long list of “free from’s” on their website along with their manufacturing processes here. If you are sensitive dairy cross contamination, I would suggest the KinniTOOS brand.
- vanilla extract
- optional toppings: dairy free chocolate syrup, dairy free whipped topping like So Delicious Coco Whip, maraschino cherries or sprinkles.
- milkshake maker or a blender — we purchased this retro, drugstore soda fountain style milkshake maker
more delicious treats
- walnut brownie sundae skillet — just grab spoons and dig into this warm brownie topped with nuts and ice cream
- oreo ice cream cake — yes, here’s your 100% gluten and dairy free seven layer ice cream cake
- the ultimate peanut butter brownies — perfect for any occasion. This chocolate and peanut butter combo is phenomenal. You’d never guess it’s gluten and dairy free.
It may be winter time in Montana, the last place you’d expect a family to be enjoying every drop of their thick and creamy homemade oreo milkshakes. But we are — we’re definitely living the gluten and dairy free life now.
Mark my words this will be one of my go-to recipes this summer! Nothing will cool us off faster than this homemade oreo milkshake treat.
And did I mention you’ll find more recipe ideas for every occasion on my website? If you’re new to my website, grab yourself a cup of joe and start pinning here. You’ll want to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest too. New gluten and dairy free pins are added to my Pinterest boards weekly.
Let me know in the comments if you found this recipe enjoyable. Thank you and enjoy.
Eat well and feel well,
Homemade Oreo Milkshake
- 1 pint dairy free vanilla ice cream if using dairy free cookies and cream ice cream double check it is gluten free too
- ¾ c dairy free milk I use unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract
- 8 crushed gluten and dairy free oreo cookies see the post for brand recommendations
- optional: dairy free chocolate syrup, dairy free whipped topping, maraschino cherries, or sprinkles
- Place milk, ice cream, vanilla extract, and crushed oreo cookies into the milkshake canister or blender. If using a milkshake canister, briefly mash mixture together with a fork, then blend in the milkshake maker.
- Blend until achieving the thickness you enjoy best.
- Pour your thick and creamy homemade oreo milkshake mixture into 2 cups. Top with a few crushed oreo crumbs, whipped topping, chocolate syrup, and a cherry.
Wednesday 3rd of February 2021
Delicious and creamy! KinniTOOS taste just like Oreos!
Saturday 13th of February 2021
I'm so glad you enjoyed this oreo milkshake recipe! KinniToos are fabulous tasting. Jill
Monday 17th of February 2020
Great content! Super high-quality! Keep it up! :)
Monday 17th of February 2020
Thank you so much, Jill