Youâ€™ll love this homemade Oreo Ice Cream Cake recipe. This allergen friendly homemade ice cream cake is made with crunchy Oreo Sandwiches, smooth vanilla ice cream, a fantastic homemade chocolate ganache, creamy coco whip and some amazing chocolate ice cream.
Recently a friend told me about her love for Dairy Queen ice cream cakes. And she didnâ€™t spare any details in her infatuation with them.
Listening to her immediately gave me flashbacks to years ago. When I was in my teens, DQ ice cream cakes ruled.
So ice cream cakes and I were a thing. Honestly, they made the best birthday cakes. And as a kid it was the biggest perk to having a summer birthday!
However, when I said goodbye to gluten and dairy, I also said goodbye to DQ ice cream cakes.
Or so I thought.
This homemade gluten and dairy free Oreo ice cream cake is delicious, yâ€™all. As in absolutely mouthwatering.
Not only is this Oreo ice cream cake a dream come true, but especially for those with food allergies.
ice cream cake ingredients
- vanilla bean dairy free ice cream— So Delicious tastes wonderful and we also recommend Nada Moo
- chocolate or dark chocolate ice cream— (again So Delicious works well)
- gluten and dairy free Oreo sandwich cookies— Kinnikinnick Kinni-Toos brand is also nut, soy, and peanut free. Or you can use the Gluten Free Oreos. Another option is the Glutino brand cookies or Oreo’s gluten free cookies.
- classic organic coconut milk–use this canned kind. It helps set best.
- dairy free dark chocolate chips– Enjoy Life and Nestle Toll House Simply Delicious have a gluten and dairy free brand. Their chocolate chips are also egg, nut, soy, and peanut free.
- so Delicious Coco Whip— thawed and refrigerated so itâ€™s ready to spread easily.
- light corn syrup— optional and if you use it, we recommend this.
helpful cake making tools
- cake plate— using a cake plate really helps make cutting and enjoying this cake easier.Â
- angled icing spatula— using one of these helps to easily spread and smooth each layer. Itâ€™s any cake maker’s game changer.Â
- spring form pan— using this helps get the cake out easier.
- saran wrap–or Glap Wrap Press N Seal really helps make this easy to pop out of the springform pan.Â
how to make an oreo ice cream cake from scratch:
Get the full recipe instructions and ingredients down below in the recipe card.
This homemade ice cream cake is so easy to make and the whole family devours it. Itâ€™s better than any store-bought oreo ice cream cake for sure.
recipe notes and tips
- using a 10 inch cheesecake springform pan will make this Oreo ice cream cake turn out perfectly round like a cake. A 10 inch round cake pan also works.
- next an angled icing spatula is helpful with this recipe. Youâ€™ll use it for several layers of this cake. I also use this spatula with several other recipes. It is a lifesaver.
- itâ€™s helpful to cover sides of the pan with Glad Pressâ€™n Seal Plastic Food Wrap.
- importantly, place the vanilla and chocolate ice cream pints on the counter top to thaw well before you need them. I find dairy free ice cream requires more time to soften.
- keep in mind this mouthwatering homemade ganache can be used for other recipes too!
- lastly, this ice cream cake can be made a day or two ahead of time. Woot woot for all you early birds who like to get the worm.
more gluten + dairy free dessert recipes
- chocolate chip cookie cake— a delicious cake made from our famous soft chocolate chip cookie recipe.
- chocolate peanut butter layer brownies— rich, decadent and mouth watering layered brownies with peanut butter and chocolate.
- ice cream cookie sandwiches— we absolutely love these. Now you can enjoy safe and yummy ice cream cookie sandwiches too.
- double chocolate cookies— if you like this oreo cake and love chocolate then this cookie recipe is made for you!!! Every bite is chocolate heaven.
more allergen friendly cake recipes
- chocolate loaf cake— a rich and moist chocolate loaf cake that is made with the homemade chocolate ganache, just like this oreo ice cream cake.
- lemon poppy seed bundt cake— this delicious cake is made with fresh lemon juice, lemon zest, and has a fantastic poppy seed flavor.
- chocolate bundt cake — this homemade chocolate cake is perfect for anybody who loves chocolate.
- layered carrot cake— this is a soft, moist, spiced carrot cake that is rave worthy.
- ice cream cake— get our classic ice cream cake recipe. Itâ€™s so yummy!
- pineapple cake— this is a great cake to make for birthdays, celebrations, and holidays. Bursting with delicious pineapple flavors and homemade pineapple flowers.
- MORE cake recipes— check out alllllll our cake recipes on our website. Thereâ€™s cakes for every occasion!
In all honesty youâ€™ll enjoy every bite of this gluten and dairy free Oreo ice cream cake. Without question, itâ€™s the perfect dessert for any occasion. Guests will rave about this one!
Go ahead and pin this now.
Lastly, keep up with us on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. Speaking of Pinterestâ€“ weâ€™re pinning new gluten and dairy free recipes EVERY SINGLE WEEK- ALMOST EVERY SINGLE DAY! You donâ€™t want to miss out on them!
And be sure to like and comment often on our social media posts to stay in the loop.
We want you to keep seeing our posts in your feed with new recipe releases, new product alerts, and all the best eating â€œfree fromâ€ life hacks.
Make sure to scroll down and join the email list below to make sure you donâ€™t ever miss out on any of the goodies.Â
We donâ€™t want you to miss out on the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- 2 pints dairy free vanilla ice cream
- 2 pints dairy free chocolate ice cream
- 13.5 ounce can canned coconut milk
- 10 oz bag dairy free dark chocolate chips
- 1 box gluten and dairy free oreo cookies, crush 10 for the middle layer, 6 for the top layer. Use extra for garnish.
- 1 container So Delicious Coco Whip
- 1 tbsp (optional) corn syrup
- Place bottom layer of ice cream on counter top to slightly thaw.
- Place all of coconut milk in a medium size sauce pan over medium heat. Just before sauce boils take off the burner.
- While coconut milk heats, place chocolate chips in a medium size bowl. Add corn syrup if using.
- After coconut milk heats pour it over chocolate chips. Let sit for 3-4 minutes then stir well to combine. Set aside to allow ganache to slightly cool.
- Wrap the sides of spring form pan with plastic wrap. Use an ice scream scooper to place both pints of vanilla ice cream in the bottom of spring form pan. Even out ice cream with an angled icing spatula.
- Pour 1/2 to 3/4 cup of ganache over vanilla ice cream. Sprinkle crushed oreo crumbs over ganache.
- Top spring form pan with plastic wrap and place in the freezer for 20-30 minutes.
- Take out 2nd layer of ice cream (chocolate) to partially thaw.
- Remove ice cream cake from the freezer and spread softened chocolate ice cream over oreo crumbs. Cover with plastic wrap and refreeze for a couple of hours. You want the cake to be well frozen for the next step.
- Just prior to removing the cake from the freezer stir the container of Coco Whip well. Remove cake from freezer, dispose of top plastic wrap layer and release the spring form pan. Leave cake as it is on the spring form board or flip cake over onto a cake plate. Carefully remove the plastic wrap. Using an angled icing spatula "ice" top and sides of cake with Coco Whip.
- Return to freezer for a least 30 minutes and then remove. Add a second layer of Coco Whip to entire cake. Place back in freezer.
- Just before serving: reheat chocolate ganache if needed and spread even coat over top of ice cream cake. With angled icing spatula spread over top of cake. Push over edge of cake to create dripping effect.
- Lastly, place 2-3 oreos in a baggie and crush with a rolling pin. Spread oreo crumbs evenly over top of cake.
- Cake is ready to serve. Cover any leftovers and return to the freezer.
Eat well and feel well,