You want to try this giant, soft Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake with rich buttercream frosting and sprinkles for your next celebration. This easy, classic cookie recipe will get everyone’s attention and add valuable festive flair to any gathering.
Enjoy slices of this soft cookie cake as it is or frost it with one of our decadent buttercream frosting recipes. Then top with sprinkles and even a dollop of ice cream.
Or drizzle melted dairy free semi-sweet chocolate over the cake. The topping ideas are really endless!
This cake is the perfect nontraditional cake for the ultimate cookie lover, picky eater, or loved one who doesn’t enjoy cake.
We also enjoy how evenly this cookie dough bakes in this Wilton pizza pan. You won’t find it raw on the inside or hard on the outside.
And we use this same pizza pan for our Fruit Pizza recipe with a sugar cookie crust.
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is gluten, dairy, and soy free.
chocolate chip cookie cake ingredients
- chocolate chip cookie dough recipe— we used our Softest Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe found on our website for this cookie cake. Follow the recipe and you’ll have exactly enough cookie dough for this cake too.
- chocolate buttercream frosting— again we used a buttercream frosting recipe from our website here. And for this cake we only needed half of what the original frosting recipe makes. If you have leftover frosting use it on top of brownies, cookies, and as a dipping sauce as snack time for pretzels or vanilla wafers.
- festive sprinkles— our safe go-to sprinkle brand is Sweets Indeed. You can purchase their sprinkles for just about any holiday, season, and occasion. You can purchase their sprinkles from their website or off of Amazon.
- dairy free ice cream— our favorite brands are So Delicious and Nada Moo
- optional topping— drizzle warm, melted dairy free chocolate over the cake
- 13×12-inch pizza cake pan— these Wilton pizza pans work perfectly for this recipe
- pie server— this one here works well with this recipe and makes it so easy to get these long triangle shaped slices out without breaking them in half.
- frosting swirl designs— we use the technique from this Wilton video with a 1M tip and medium consistency frosting. We use this frosting tip often in our kitchen for decorating family birthday cakes.
can this be made ahead of time
This chocolate chip cookie cake is best enjoyed the day it’s baked.
what safe sprinkles can I use
We use the Sweets Indeed brand sprinkles. They offer so many seasonal variations and color combos with fun themes.
Honestly we have so many different sprinkle variations of theirs we’ve started so make our own sprinkle color combinations from what we have on hand.
are there other frosting flavors I can decorate with
Readers rave about both of these recipes and their minimal ingredients. Homemade frosting is such a game-changer; everyone loves it!
You could also make a batch of the vanilla buttercream frosting and using gluten and dairy free gel food colors, transform the frosting into any color you like.
And you can use a thick store bought gluten and dairy free frosting.
how do we slice this cake
Cut it like you are slicing a pizza, or for even more pieces, cut it into squares.
bonus recipes to serve on the side
- frozen ice cream sandwiches— every bite of these treats is refreshing. They’re perfect for a hot summer day or summer birthday party celebration
- lemon streusel bars— these tart and sweet bars are so addictive, plus they bring balance to your taste buds after enjoying so many other sweet birthday treats
- chocolate cream pie— your family will love this Oreo-like crust with a thick chocolate filling and cream cocowhip top
- chocolate peanut butter layer brownies— ohhh lalala these brownies are a bite of heaven with layers of chocolate, peanut butter, and even marshmallow.
- chocolate covered strawberries— you can never go wrong with this decadent and rich party side dish
- heart-shaped peanut butter cookies— these festive cookies up the birthday celebration with their fun heart shape and soft, yummy taste
more gluten + dairy free cake recipes
- lemon poppy seed bundt cake with cream cheese frosting— this cake is always fun to serve family and friends. The lemon and poppy see flavor makes for a delicious cake. And that frosting! Yum
- layer carrot cake— no one can resist the moist carrot flavor of this cake. It’s so light and decadent with a cream cheese frosting too.
- ice cream cake— imagine a bottom layer of cake followed by an ice cream layer, then another cake layer topped with frozen cocowhip. This easy cake is a must-try.
- pineapple cake— enjoy bite after bite of this moist, refreshing pineapple cake. This will be your new favorite cake flavor.
- ice cream cone cake— this trendy cake is easier to make than you think, and loved ones will fight over a slice
- oreo ice cream cake— perfect for any spring or summer party, each slice of this layered ice cream cake will make you think it was purchased from Dairy Queen.
This Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake is surprisingly simple to make– yet it looks like a bakery-style cake someone spent hours on.
You’ll find this easily feeds everyone at the party.
Top each slice with a scoop of cold dairy free ice cream and festive sprinkles for lots of birthday glam.
You’ll find we’re adding more birthday celebration recipes to our website often.
So be sure to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram.
We don’t want you to miss out on one recipe, new product alert, or eating “free from” life hack.
And be sure to like and comment often so our posts stay visible in your feed. You can sign up for our exclusive emails below.
Eat well and feel well,
Chocolate Chip Cookie Cake
Soft Chocolate Chip Cookie
- chocolate chip cookie dough recipe link in post
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- ¼ c dairy free butter half a stick, softened
- ¼ c palm oil shortening vegetable shortening works too
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 c confectioners' sugar same as powered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp dairy free milk you want a medium consistency for this recipe, suggestion in post
- gluten and dairy free sprinkles suggestion in post
- ¼ c dairy free melted chocolate semi-sweet chocolate suggestion in post
- dairy free ice cream suggestion in post
Chocolate Chip Cookie Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray the pizza pan with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Prepare cookie dough according to the recipe link.
- After semi-sweet chocolate chips have been mixed into the cookie dough, add the dough to the pizza pan.
- Using your fingers gently spread the dough evenly into all areas of the pan.
- Transfer pan to the oven and bake for 10-11 minutes. The cookie will look raw in the middle, but continues to bake on the pan.
- Remove cookie from the oven and allow to cool completely on a cooling rack.
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- In a stand-up mixer or using a handheld mixer, cream together the dairy free butter and palm oil shortening.
- Then add in the vanilla extract and cocoa powder.
- Next gradually add in the powdered sugar. Be sure to scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl often.
- Now add in the dairy free milk and mix well. Add more milk if needed for a medium consistency.
- Transfer to a piping bag, or Ziploc bag with the corner cut off, and decorate the cooled cookie cake.
- The post contains a link to a Wilton You Tube tutorial video for frosting swirls as shown.
- Add sprinkles, cut and serve.
- Optional to serve with a scoop of ice cream or drizzle with melted semi-sweet chocolate.