My daughter loves her dairy free ice cream. She’d eat a scoop every day if I let her. And if she had her way, she’d always choose to eat it out of a gluten free sugar cone too.
So when I came across this ice cream cone cake theme, I knew this was the perfect cake for her. Needless to say she was head over heals in love with her birthday cake this year.
And if you’re looking for a fun and exciting birthday cake theme, definitely check this one out. Honestly it’s not as complicated as it looks and it tastes so, so good.
This post provides step by step instructions how to bake and decorate this cake. I’ve also included a supply list. In other words I’ve completely hooked you up with this cake.
Now it’s time to get baking!
ice cream cone cake ingredients
- first you’ll need 2 gluten and dairy free cake mixes
- use your favorite box cake mix. We almost always use the King Arthur gluten free cake mixes. If you can’t find them locally, you can purchase chocolate here and vanilla here. From time to time Amazon has killer deals on King Arthur gluten and dairy free cake and brownie mixes. Definitely keep an eye on them.
- next use my dairy free buttercream frosting recipe found here. Tripling my buttercream recipe or 6 cups of frosting will give you enough frosting to pipe in between each cake layer, crumb coat the cake, frost the entire cake, add any extra desired piping, and form the ice cream ball.
- then you’ll need chocolate ganache drizzle. I have a dairy free recipe on my website and it’s one of my favorite recipes! Can you believe only 2 ingredients will give you the most mouthwatering ganache. I use this recipe almost weekly. Tap here for my easy ganache recipe.
- importantly sprinkles…you can find a large variety of trendy sprinkle colors and shapes from the Sweets Indeed brand. Likewise you can purchase them off Amazon too.
- lastly the gluten and dairy free sugar cone produced by Edward & Son’s can be purchased here. Be warned the Amazon reviews show the cones are prone to breaking in transit. Thankfully I can find these locally and I hope you can too.
ice cream cone cake supplies
- cake pans, 6 inch pans can be found here
- cake plate or cake board, 6 inch cake boards here
- disposable frosting bags
- large 1 A round decorating tip
- turntable cake stand for easy icing and decorating
- cake scraper & smoother (helpful hint I learned after I decorated this cake… warm the cake scrapper with hot water and dry off just before using. It will help smooth the frosting)
- offset spatula
ice cream cone cake steps
Keep in mind you’re just steps away from having the perfect ice cream cone cake everyone will love!
- Bake three, 6 inch gluten and dairy free cakes and cupcakes according to box directions. To do this prepare both cake mixes and pour into cake pans. Use leftover mix for 5-6 cupcakes. You will only need 3 cupcakes to form the ice cream ball. Bake according to box directions and cool.
- Prepare 6 cups of dairy free buttercream frosting. Prep an icing bag with a large 1 A round decorating tip, frosting, and set aside.
- After cakes have cooled, place first cake on a cake plat. Pipe frosting over the top of the cake. Using an offset spatula smooth over frosting. Then place your second cake on top. Again pipe frosting and smooth. Next place your last cake on top.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache and set aside to cool and slightly thicken.
- Then crumb coat the entire cake using your frosting, cake scrapper, and offset spatula. Remember this is only a thin layer of frosting meant to conceal cake crumbs.
- Now frost the entire cake and place in the refrigerator. The ganache will set better if the cake is cold.
- Smash 3 cupcakes in your hand. Add in a couple spoonfuls of buttercream frosting and mush everything together to form an ice cream ball. Set aside.
- Dip the sugar cone upside down into the ganache. Hold for a couple seconds, then add sprinkles. Again hold the sugar cone upside down for a few seconds for the ganache to slightly harden. Then turn right side up and place in a cup until you’re ready for it.
- Next place ice cream ball on the cake and slowly pour ganache over the top.
- If needed, use a spoon to push ganache over the sides of the cake to form a drizzle.
- Then angle the ice cream cone on the ice cream ball, hold for a few seconds until ganache starts to set. The ganache will form a glue to hold everything together.
- Lastly place sprinkles on the cake as you like.
- Allow ganache to harden. You may place your cake in the refrigerator to set faster.
- Cut, serve, and celebrate.
I truly hope you enjoy the excitement others have over this fun birthday cake! It’s a cake your child will never forget!
more cake ideas
- oreo ice cream cake made from gluten and dairy free ice cream, oreo cookies, chocolate ganache, and more. This ice cream cake is absolutely delicious.
- shark cake that looks like a real Great White! You’ve got to click and see this cake. My son & his friends freaked out over it at his recent birthday party.
- motocross cake perfect for the motocross lover in your family
This cake will be well remembered after the party decorations have been taken down. No doubt it will even be remembered for years and years to come. And can you believe it’s gluten and dairy free?! Likewise that’s worth celebrating too!
With this in mind please leave me a comment below and a review rating when you make or use any of my recipes or guides. As a matter of fact I love hearing from you. And as always when you make one of my recipes and put it on Instagram please, please, perdy please tag me with #eatingglutenanddairyfree. Y’all, I can’t get enough of your ‘gram food pics!
Eat well, feel well and celebrate well,
Ice Cream Cone Cake
- 2 gluten and dairy free cake mixes and ingredients to make mixes
- 6 c dairy free buttercream frosting see recipe link in post
- 1 ½ c dairy free chocolate ganache see recipe link in post
- gluten and dairy free sprinkles
- 1 gluten free sugar cone
- Bake three, 6 inch cakes and cupcakes according to box instructions. Note: prepare both cake mixes and place batter into cake pans first. There will be left over batter for 5-6 cupcakes. You need 3 cupcakes to form the ice cream ball.
- Prepare dairy free buttercream frosting. Prep frosting in a disposable bag with a large 1 A round decorating tip. Set aside.
- After cakes have cooled, place a cake on the cake plate and a turntable if available. Pipe frosting over the top of the cake and smooth with an offset spatula. Repeat with the second cake. Last place the 3rd cake on top.
- Prepare the chocolate ganache and set aside.
- Crumb coat the entire cake using frosting, a cake scrapper, and an offset spatula. Remember this is a thin layer of frosting only meant to conceal cake crumbs.
- Next frost the entire cake and set in the refrigerator if able. It's best for the ganache if the cake is cold.
- Smash 3 cupcakes in your hand. Add in 3 spoonfuls of frosting and mush to form an ice cream ball. Set aside.
- Dip the top end of the sugar cone into the chocolate ganache. Wait a few seconds for it to set then add sprinkles to cone. Again hold onto the cone for a few seconds, then set right side up in a cup until you're ready for it.
- Place ice cream ball on the cake and pour ganache over ball. If needed, use a spoon to drizzle ganache over the sides of the cake.
- Then angle the sugar cone on the ice cream ball as you like. Hold for a few seconds and the ganache will set like glue.
- Lastly place sprinkles on the cake.
- Slice and serve.