Calling all chocolate lovers!! You’re going to love this decadent Chocolate Cream Pie. Made with a homemade 2 ingredient Oreo crust and a chocolatey, sweet creamy homemade filling, topped with a smooth whipped topping and slices of shaved chocolate– every spoonful is really a bite of chocolatey heaven.
Can you believe this decadent chocolate cream pie is gluten and dairy free? Look at all those delicious pie layers. This truly is the ultimate chocolate dessert.
First, this amazing chocolate cream pie is filled with a mouthwatering chocolate cream filling layered over a 2 ingredient oreo crust. Then it’s topped with a sweet and creamy whipped topping and chocolate shavings.
But the awesomeness doesn’t stop there.
This pie crust and filling can even be prepared a day or two before your special event. And if you’re a planner like me– you love recipes that can be prepped ahead of time.
With this in mind you’ll be excited to know this chocolate cream pie recipe works for about every occasion. It’s perfect for celebrating Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, the 4 of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and even birthdays.
oreo crust ingredients
- gluten and dairy free “oreo” sandwich cookies — we recommend using either KinniToo’s chocolate sandwich cookies or Glutino vanilla creme cookies. For those with reactions to dairy cross-contamination in the manufacturing process, we’d purchase the KinniToo’s.
- dairy free butter — our go to is Earth’s Balance Buttery Sticks, they work like a dream in this oreo crust recipe.
chocolate cream filling ingredients
- granulated sugar
- dairy free heavy whipping cream — we use the Silk Dairy Free Heavy Whipping Cream. Be sure to shake this product well before adding it to your recipe. We purchase this product at Walmart and other large chain grocers. If this cream isn’t available to purchase locally, substitute with dairy free milk.
- dairy free milk— unsweetened almond milk works great. We suggest you use the refrigerated dairy free milk, not the shelf-stable milk as it tends to make your filling runny.
- egg yolks
- cornstarch— ornstarch is naturally gluten free. However, it can be easily contaminated in the factory. Bob’s Red Mill is certified gluten free and a safe brand to use. Using arrowroot starch works too.
- dairy free chocolate chips– these are our favorite
- vanilla extract– we like using this here
whipped topping & chocolate curls
- dairy free whipped topping— So Delicious tastes wonderful on this pie
- dairy free chocolate chips for the chocolate curls— we like to buy these in bulk and save $$ in the long run. We frequently use these in our recipes, so it definitely works out to buy in bulk (and saves grocery store trips)
recipe notes and tips
- first, you will need a 9-inch pie crust, prepared and fully baked. And what if I told you this recipe has 3 delicious crust options?! My favorite is the gluten and dairy free oreo sandwich cookie crust you see pictured. You will find everything you need to bake this easy crust in the recipe card below.
- also, one container of either brand of cookies has 21 cookies in it. However, this recipe calls for 25 cookies. If needed you can just use 1 container, but keep in mind to achieve a crust that comes up on the sides you’ll need 25 cookies.
- next top your chocolate cream pie with your favorite dairy free whipped cream. I keep a tub of So Delicious cocowhip frozen topping on hand in the freezer just for this recipe.
- and dairy free chocolate shavings are the final layer to this pie. While this step is optional, you’d be surprised how easy this is to make. And they help your pie look absolutely gorgeous. You’ll find step by step instructions on how to prepare the shavings in the recipe card. Use any dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips such as Enjoy Life (buy in bulk to save money here) or Simply Delicious brands.
- for this recipe I use a 9 inch pie plate and using an angled spatula makes spreading the cocowhip easy peasy
- lastly I altered this recipe to make it gluten and dairy free from Tastes Better From Scratch.
frequently asked questions
what kind of dairy free milk should I use
Unsweetened almond milk is great for this pie.
We suggest you use the refrigerated dairy free milk, not the shelf-stable milk as it tends to make your filling runny.
why is my filling lumpy
We recommend using a whisk to help stir. If you’re finding that it’s lumpy as you’re whisking, reduce the heat slightly.
If that doesn’t help, we recommend checking your dairy free milk as the brand you’re using could have more thickeners in it and that is causing it to get lumpy.
can I use a store bought crust
You bet. Not only is this pie recipe great because you can prep ahead, but if you’re short on time, you can use a store bought pie crust as well!
Another easy crust option is the certified GF and vegan Mi-Del graham cracker crust. We’ve used these store bought crusts, but the homemade Oreo pie crust really makes the pie if you have the time for it!
can you make this pie ahead of time
Absolutely, you sure can. In fact, we recommend the crust and chocolate cream filling be prepared and placed in the refrigerator the night before you need it.
At minimum this pie filling needs 4-6 hours to set, but longer will give you a better pie filling.
If you’re going the store bought route, we have a few choices we recommend. One of our top crust choices is a Wholly Gluten Free Pie Shell. These certified GF pie shells are available in the freezer section of grocery stores and free of the top eight allergens.
You can store your fresh home baked chocolate silk pie in the refrigerator loosely covered with seran wrap or foil for 3-4 days.
Alternatively, if you want to freeze this pie for later, we recommend freezing it without the whipped topping. Save adding the topping until you’re ready to serve and enjoy.
Once you’ve let your pie set in the refrigerator, preferably overnight, wrap it tightly, label it and you can freeze it for up to 3 months.
Let thaw in fridge overnight the night before you wish to enjoy, then add the whipped topping.
more gluten + dairy free recipes
- cherry dessert pizza— this warm, cherry pizza is a dream. You definitely want to try this dessert.
- homemade brownie bites— these brownie bites are perfect for any occasion. Mini brownies, whipped topping, and fresh fruit make for an amazing, easy dessert.
- heart peanut butter blossom cookies— these are a crowd favorite cookie and a huge hit on my website. Definitely pin this recipe for your next cookie craving.
- strawberry rhubarb crumble— nothing beats a warm crisp bursting with fresh flavors and topped with dairy free ice cream.
more chocolate dessert recipes
- chocolate buttercream frosting–this thick and decadent homemade buttercream frosting is perfect for cakes and cupcakes. It’s our original vanilla buttercream frosting recipe with a chocolate twist.
- chocolate ganache spread— by far a fan favorite. And we use this recipe so often for homemade donuts, as a drizzle topping on our cakes, as a fun dip for waffles and so much more. This 2-ingredient recipe is perfection.
- chocolate bundt cake— You’ve gotta try this fudgy and full of chocolate flavor, homemade bundt cake. Perfect for birthdays and holidays topped with the easy 2-ingredient ganache described above!
- brownie cookies— these grab and go cookies are the ultimate brownies with a twist. Who doesn’t love brownies or cookies??
From Instagram- “My boyfriend and I made this for Thanksgiving. It was delicious! I love your page.”
You will be swooning over every bite of this chocolate cream pie. Seriously– what’s not to love? This pie is smooth, creamy, and decadent. You will have a hard time guessing this dessert is gluten and dairy free.
You will find more mouthwatering gluten and dairy free recipes on my website. Be sure to snoop around and make yourself at home. These recipes are created and shared just for you. Also featured on the website are food travel guides and daily living tips for thriving in today’s world.
And be sure to tag me on Instagram when you make and share one of my recipes. I wanna see all your #eatingglutenanddairyfree food pics! You’ve gotta share the gluten and dairy free looooove.
We don’t want you to miss out on the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Chocolate Cream Pie
- 25 gluten and dairy free "oreo" sandwich cookies suggestions in post
- 5 tbsp dairy free butter
Chocolate Cream Filling
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- 2 c dairy free heavy whipping cream see notes in post
- ½ c dairy free milk, unsweetened almond milk works great
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp cornstarch arrowroot works too
- 6 tbsp dairy free butter, Earth Balance works well
- 1 heaping cup dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1½ tsp vanilla extract
Whipped Topping & Chocolate Curls
- 1 container dairy free whipped topping
- ¼ c optional: dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips for the chocolate curls
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Place the oreo sandwich cookies in a food processor and pulse until they are fine crumbs.
- In a large bowl melt the butter, then place the oreo crumbs into the melted butter and mix well.
- Lastly press the crumb mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of a 9-inch pie plate. Bake for 10-12 minutes, remove from the oven and allow to completely cool.
Chocolate Cream Filling
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk the sugar, heavy whipping cream, and milk well. Bring to a simmer, whisking frequently.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, place the egg yolks and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Once the saucepan mixture is simmering, add two spoonfuls of the hot liquid into the egg yolk mixture and whisk. Add a two more spoonfuls of the hot liquid into the egg yolks and whisk again.
- Then slowly whisk the egg yolk mixture into the saucepan. Whisk constantly until the mixture begins to thicken and comes to a gentle boil.
- Then lower the heat to low and whisk the chopped butter, chocolate chips, and vanilla extract into the pudding mix until smooth.
- Pour filling into the cooled crust and smooth over with an angled spatula.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap over the top of the pie and refrigerate overnight or 6 hours.
- The crust and filling can be made 1-2 days ahead of time and refrigerated.
Whipped Topping and Chocolate Curls
- Just before serving evenly spread the whipped topping over the pie with an angled spatula.
- For the chocolate curls melt ⅓ c dairy free semi-sweet chocolate chips in the microwave over low heat on the stove top or microwave. Once melted pour chocolate onto wax paper. Allow to completely cool. With a knife scrape layers of chocolate into curls. Place atop of the chocolate cream pie then slice and serve.
- Cover and place any leftover pie in the refrigerator.