If you've been searching for a filling and healthy gluten and dairy free snack, these Energy Bites are a wonderful snack to enjoy. Each bite is full of creamy peanut butter, coconut, honey, mini chocolate chips, and more healthy ingredients like chia and flax seed.
Would it be any surprise if I told you I have a hard time keeping these gluten free and dairy free snacks in the house?
Honestly, my kids just can't keep their hands off of these gluten free and dairy free snacks. And I'm 100% ok with that. This easy snack doesn't require the oven and uses minimal ingredients.
You can have a healthy and filling gluten free dairy free snack ready for you and your family in minutes.
I originally came across a similar recipe found here. I made the needed gluten and dairy free substitutions while slightly changing the ingredients to better suit my family.
This is definitely the best energy bites recipe, and no one would guess it's gluten and dairy free.
Plus this is the perfect snack to offer when my kids are having play dates or company.
Or prepare these ahead of time and pack them in a container to travel with. We have enjoyed these in airports, on airlines, long car trips, and overnight trips to visit family.
Gluten free and dairy free snacks like these are a must.
Recipe ingredient brands and tips
- gluten free oats-- we use Bob's Red Mill Old Fashioned Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- shredded coconut-- I like to toast my coconut for this recipe in the oven and store it the refrigerator for months to keep it fresh.
- creamy peanut butter-- you can use crunchy peanut butter, but it is not recommended as it can easily dry out the energy bites.
- honey-- if you're searching for an amazing company to purchase honey from, consider Bee Konscious from Colorado. I've got to say their Montana Raw Honey is the best I've ever tasted. However, there is a great benefit from enjoying local honey to wherever you live.
- flax seed-- again I keep this refrigerated to lengthen the shelf life
- chia seed
- vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips-- Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips work best for these small 1 inch balls
- after combining all the energy bite ingredients, cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. This will help the mixture to be less sticky when forming balls.
- these energy bites will stay fresh for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- these snacks are perfect for at work, kids lunches, and trips (airplane or road trips).
more gluten free snacks+ dairy free recipes
- easy kid snacks-- over 50 kid friendly gluten and dairy free snacks
- chocolate banana bread--bake this moist, tender Chocolate Banana Bread now bursting with semi-sweet chocolate chips, Dutch-processed cocoa, and mashed bananas
- irresistible peanut butter brownies-- meet your new favorite brownie recipe with a chocolate and peanut butter combo.
- white chocolate chip cookies-- here is a quick and decadent cookie recipe you make time and time again
- oreo donuts-- you will fall in love with these homemade oreo donuts. Each bite is rich, moist, and full of your favorite oreo sandwich cookie taste.
Get our cookbook
Have you checked out our eBook, The Classics, available for instant download? We have shared 16 of our favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes with you. And you will find a bonus breakfast recipe not available anyplace else on our social media or website.
You'll find these are the best gluten free, dairy free, and soy free homemade energy bites. How can you go wrong combining all your favorites into one snack size bite? You will love every bite of these energy bites.
Let me know in the comments if this recipe idea was helpful.
The Best Energy Bites
- 1 c gluten free oats
- ⅔ c coconut flakes
- ½ c plus 1tbsp creamy peanut butter
- ½ c ground flax seed
- ⅓ c honey
- 1 tablespoon chia seed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ c dairy free chocolate chips Enjoy Life Mini's work perfect
- In a medium size bowl mix all ingredients well.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes so mixture can be less sticky to work with.
- Remove from the refrigerator and roll into small 1 inch bites.
- Place energy bites into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.
These Nutritional Facts are ESTIMATED. Your actual nutritional info with this recipe may vary depending on the brands you choose. “Eating Gluten and Dairy Free” is not a registered dietician or nutritionist. The provided nutritional info above is based on a generic calculator, if you want more accurate info, use your nutritional calculator of choice where you can choose brands and get more info that way.