If you’ve been searching for a filling and healthy gluten and dairy free snack, look no further. This recipe will give you a wonderful snack and the best energy bites time and time again. As a matter of fact this recipe has been my favorite snack recipe for years. Each bite is full of creamy peanut butter, coconut, honey, mini chocolate chips, and more healthy ingredients like chia and flax seed.
Would it be any surprise if I told you I have a hard time keeping these gluten free and dairy free snacks in the house?
Honestly, my kids just can’t keep their hands off of these gluten free and dairy free snacks. And I’m 100% ok with that. This easy snack doesn’t require the oven and uses minimal ingredients.
You can have a healthy and filling gluten free dairy free snack ready for you and your family in minutes.
I originally came across a similar recipe found here. I made the needed gluten and dairy free substitutions while slightly changing the ingredients to better suit my family.
This is definitely the best energy bites recipe, and no one would guess it’s gluten and dairy free.
Plus this is the perfect snack to offer when my kids are having play dates or company.
Or prepare these ahead of time and pack them in a container to travel with. We have enjoyed these in airports, on airlines, long car trips, and overnight trips to visit family.
Gluten free and dairy free snacks like these are a must.
the best energy bites recipe ingredients and tips
- gluten free oats— we use Bob’s Red Mill Old Fashioned Gluten Free Rolled Oats
- shredded coconut— I like to toast my coconut for this recipe in the oven and store it the refrigerator for months to keep it fresh.
- creamy peanut butter— you can use crunchy peanut butter, but it is not recommended as it can easily dry out the energy bites.
- honey— if you’re searching for an amazing company to purchase honey from, consider Bee Konscious from Colorado. I’ve got to say their Montana Raw Honey is the best I’ve ever tasted.
- flax seed— again I keep this refrigerated to lengthen the shelf life
- chia seed
- vanilla extract
- mini chocolate chips— Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Mini Chips work best for these small 1 inch balls
- after combining all the energy bite ingredients, cover and place in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. This will help the mixture to be less sticky when forming balls.
- these energy bites will stay fresh for 2-3 days in an airtight container in the refrigerator
- these snacks are perfect for at work, kids lunches, and trips (airplane or road trips).
more gluten + dairy free recipes
- easy kid snacks— over 50 kid friendly gluten and dairy free snacks
- chocolate banana bread–bake this moist, tender Chocolate Banana Bread now bursting with semi-sweet chocolate chips, Dutch-processed cocoa, and mashed bananas
- irresistible peanut butter brownies— meet your new favorite brownie recipe with a chocolate and peanut butter combo.
- white chocolate chip cookies— here is a quick and decadent cookie recipe you make time and time again
- oreo donuts— you will fall in love with these homemade oreo donuts. Each bite is rich, moist, and full of your favorite oreo sandwich cookie taste.
3 dinner recipes to enjoy this week
- pasta e fagioli— copycat Olive Garden soup recipe is loaded with hearty ground sausage, fresh diced vegetables, beans, tender ditalini pasta noodles, and delicious herbs in a savory broth is a must try
- teriyaki chicken— no fail, marinated grilled Teriyaki Chicken with Pineapple rings and Mini Sweet Peppers over a warm bed of jasmine rice, served with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and fresh cilantro is as good as it sounds
- shrimp and broccoli pasta— sautéed Shrimp and steamed Broccoli coated and tossed in a velvety, alfredo sauce over tender pasta noodles ready to serve in under 25 minutes is always a winning combination
Have you checked out our eBook, The Classics, available for instant download? We have shared 16 of our favorite breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert recipes with you. And you will find a bonus breakfast recipe not available anyplace else on our social media or website.
You’ll find these are the best gluten free, dairy free, and soy free homemade energy bites. How can you go wrong combining all your favorites into one snack size bite? You will love every bite of these energy bites.
Let me know in the comments if this recipe idea was helpful. And be sure to make yourself at home on our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free. You’ll find new recipes are added every week!
And please let’s connect on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Be sure to like and comment often so our posts stay in your scroll.
Plus sign up for our exclusive emails below. We don’t want you to miss the very best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
The Best Energy Bites
- 1 c gluten free oats
- ⅔ c coconut flakes
- ½ c plus 1tbsp creamy peanut butter
- ½ c ground flax seed
- ⅓ c honey
- 1 tbsp chia seed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ c dairy free chocolate chips Enjoy Life Mini's work perfect
- In a medium size bowl mix all ingredients well.
- Cover and place in the refrigerator for 20-30 minutes so mixture can be less sticky to work with.
- Remove from the refrigerator and roll into small 1 inch bites.
- Place energy bites into an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator.