What is it about these yummy bowl meals that makes them so incredibly delicious and yet comforting too? And let's not forget to mention they're filling and packed with good clean ingredients.
I'm so thankful these became the craze in the past year. How have I been missing out for years on this versatile dinner with the easiest meal prep ever?!
This burrito bowl recipe can be easily customized to your favorite preferences or what you already have on hand in the pantry and refrigerator.
burrito bowl recipe notes
- meat-- grilled chicken is a favorite in our home for any taco dish. We're also fans of barbacoa meat, ground beef, and ground turkey.
- rice-- I use this Chipotle Copycat Cilantro Lime Rice recipe
often... about every week. It gives this burrito bowl so much flavor. I substitute dairy free butter and prepare it in my rice maker. Brown rice, cauliflower rice or quinoa goes well with this dish too.
- corn and black beans-- I love preparing these according to package instructions and adding them to my bowl. Again they add amazing flavor.
- bed of fresh and crisp iceberg or romaine lettuce
- pico de gallo-- homemade or store-bought really adds so the heat to this recipe
- dairy free sour cream-- there are a few great sour cream brands on the market right now. My go-to is by Wayfare.
- garnish-- with fresh green onions, cilantro, guacamole; sauteed bell peppers is another favorite.
Have you considered all the ways these burrito bowls would be fun to enjoy? For instance, these would be a dream for extended family get- togethers where you could offer a variety of protein and grain options. And don't forget about how well received these would be at bridal and baby showers too. Honestly-- I can't think of a time these wouldn't be a hit.
more gluten and dairy free recipes
- grilled shish kabobs-- the marinade for these shish kabobs is mouthwatering and tenderizes the meat and veggies perfectly
- homemade calzones-- you'll swoon for these warm, handheld pizzas
- 6 delicious meal pantry ideas-- here are 6 of my most popular "meal pantry" recipes
If you're feeling stuck in a meal rut or just looking for an easy meal recipe, give this twist on burritos a try. You won't miss the tortillas with all the flavor of this bowl. Be sure to let me know in the comments your favorite add-ins.
And follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. New recipes, products, and gluten and dairy free lifestyle tips are being posted weekly.
Eat well and feel well,
- 2 c cilantro lime rice recipe link in post
- 2 chicken breasts, baked or grilled, shredded or cut
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 c shredded lettuce
- 1 c canned corn, prepare according to package directions
- 1 c canned black beans, drained and rinsed and heated
- 1 c pico de gallo, homemade or store-bought
- dollop dairy free sour cream
- optional garnish--green onions, cilantro, guacamole, or sauteed bell peppers and onions.
- After chicken has been heated and shredded or cut into smaller bites combine with cumin and chili powder. Set aside.
- Evenly divide lettuce among 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with chicken, cooked corn, black beans, and rice.
- Add a dollop of dairy free sour cream, pico de gallo, and fresh chopped cilantro.
- Serve immediately.