This moist Lemon Poppy Seed Bread cuts tender slices of bread with poopy seeds galore and can be topped with a thick lemon icing. And using fresh lemon zest and juice to make this bread recipe will make it pop with the most heavenly lemon taste and smell.
The hubs recently requested my favorite gluten and dairy free Lemon Poppy Seed Bread recipe. He knows a thing or two about bread and says this is the best Lemon Poppy Seed Bread there is. I jokingly call him my “bread connoisseur.”
And as a matter of fact my entire family begs for this homemade gluten, dairy, and soy free recipe.
Enjoy a delicious slice with coffee for breakfast, dessert, or even as a work snack your coworkers will droll over. My kids also enjoy fresh baked slices with their lunch.
First, this recipe is sweet, but has a gentle and inviting lemon tartness to it. And, those wonderful little poppy seeds add a slight crunch to each bite. It also tastes incredibly moist from the dairy free sour cream in this recipe. Yes… dairy free sour cream. ♥
Second, you won’t believe how lovely the fresh lemon tastes in this bread! It’s not only refreshing, but is bursting with flavor perfect for anytime of the year, but is a must in the spring.
Seriously… lemon poppy seed bread is a spring must, y’all. With the yellow daffodils blooming, our family desperately needs this bread to pull us out any winter funk.
Lastly, the lemon icing is incredible on this lemon poppy seed bread.
And did I mention this recipe tastes and looks like it was bought from a high-end bakery? Yeah… that slices are that delicious and tender. The lemon icing reminds me of something available at Starbucks. You will save yourself so much money with this homemade recipe too.
Who doesn’t love lemon desserts? I always have room in my week to bake a loaf of this bread or these Lemon Streusel Bars.
lemon poppy seed recipe tips + recipe notes
- dairy free butter— at room temperature on the countertop, we use the red box Earth Balance Butter Sticks which are soy free and vegan too
- granulated sugar
- lemon zest— 2 lemons
- vanilla extract
- eggs— 4 eggs room temperature
- dairy free sour cream— Tofutti, WayFare (soy free) are great brands we’ve used in this recipe
- dairy free milk— unsweetened almond milk is our favorite
- lemon juice— fresh from a lemon always taste’s best. I own one of these hand-held citrus juicers and it makes this part of the recipe so easy. You will need fresh lemon juice or bottled for the bread and icing recipes.
- gluten free all purpose flour— Mama’s Almond Blend and Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour bake perfectly in this recipe. I purchase my Bob’s Red Mill GF flour in bulk here and save so much money.
- xanthan gum— omit if your gluten free flour blend contains this. Mama’s Almond Blend does not have xanthan gum in their blend while the Bob’s Red Mill GF flour mentioned above does.
- baking powder
- poppy seeds
- powdered sugar
- loaf pan—this 9″ x 5″ loaf pan bakes a hearty size loaf, perfect every time
- Releasing bread from a loaf pan can put you in a real pickle at times. I line my loaf pan with parchment paper. Then it’s easy peasy to pull on the parchment paper and remove the loaf out of the pan. Or us nonstick spray on the bottom of the pan before baking and run a sharp knife around all four sides of the loaf pan after it has completely cooled.
- icing— this lemon poppy seed bread tastes delicious on it’s own without the icing. However if you’re an icing fan and wanna go all out consider adding it. If you like more of a drizzle icing add in more lemon juice to the powered sugar for a runny icing. And to see the icing thick like in the photos add in just 1 tablespoon of lemon juice at a time until you have the desired thickness for your liking.
more gluten + dairy free recipes you will love
- breakfast burritos— this recipe is one of the most popular on my website! Click to see what gluten and dairy free must-haves go in this make ahead burrito to save you time and money on busy mornings.
- perfect mashed potatoes— you will love, love, love this creamy mashed potato recipe with a surprise ingredient
- mini chicken pot pies— using this user friendly buttery crust recipe and delicious filling you will find this is your new favorite cozy recipe
- lasagna soup— yes, you read that right. This lasagna soup is mouthwatering and so much easier to prepare and make than a traditional baked lasagna. But it has the same delicious taste.
As you can see this Lemon Poppy Seed Bread is the best. This recipe is not only easy to make and more affordable than bakery prices. It also tastes moist with dairy free sour cream, and is perfectly sweetened too.
Pin this post, preheat the oven, grab a couple lemons and start baking. You’ll be so excited you did!
If you’re looking for more gluten and dairy free recipes be sure to snoop around my website here. You’ll find a recipe for every occasion including quick and easy dinner ideas. And did you know I have food camping guides here, safe birthday cake tutorials here, and TSA approved snack ideas for the plane here.
Sign up for my exclusive e-mails below!
And follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram so you’re always up to date on the best of everything gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- 1/2 c dairy free butter stick, softened
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- zest of 2 large lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 c dairy free sour cream suggestions in post
- 1/4 c dairy free almond milk, or other milk alternative
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 2/3 c gluten free flour suggestions in post
- 1 tsp xanthan gum, omit if your all purpose flour blend has this in it
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp+ fresh lemon juice see note below
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
Lemon Poppy Seed Bread
- Cut parchment paper to fit bottom of loaf pan. May also have it drape over the sides of pan to pull bread out with. Spray with non-stick spray.
- In large bowl beat together butter and sugar until combined.
- Add in eggs one at a time. Blend well after each addition.
- Blend in lemon zest, vanilla extract, dairy free sour cream, dairy free milk, and fresh lemon juice.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together gluten free flour, xanthan gum if needed, baking powder, salt, and poppy seeds.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients. Do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes. Remove from oven when center is set.
- Allow bread to cool and remove from loaf pan. Keep in an airtight container.
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl. For a thicker icing add in 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice and mix well. With an angled spatula frost the top of the bread loaf. To frost with a runnier drizzle mix in 2-3 tables of dairy free milk. With a spoon drizzle over the bread.
If you can eat gluten and dairy, then check out the lemon poppy seed bread recipe that inspired this recipe. ♥