This warm and cozy glazed Apple Spice Loaf Bread is anything but ordinary. Instead this recipe is extraordinarily moist and deliciously flavored with apple butter and all the best fall spices. As an added bonus this recipe is incredibly quick and easy to prepare.
And flavor-wise it does not get anymore autumn than this.
This beautifully golden-colored sweet quick bread is enhanced with a warm, nutmeg glaze over each slice.
It's a splendid hit for an easy breakfast, after-dinner dessert, or after-school snack for the kids.
Or enjoy this as a delicious at-work snack your coworkers will all be drooling over.
Also here is another one of our gluten and dairy free recipes you won't find yourself spending hours in the kitchen baking.
With ingredients from your pantry and a few minimal fall favorites like apple butter, apple cider, and fresh nutmeg, your home will be transformed into a fall festival with all the best smells, flavors, and good times.
Your family and friends will enjoy slice after slice of this delicious treat.
glazed apple spice loaf bread ingredients
- gluten free all-purpose flour-- our favorite is Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Mix. This time of year it's always a good idea to buy this in bulk here and save money. This mix contains xanthan gum.
- xanthan gum-- omit if your all-purpose flour mix contains this or guar gum
- baking soda-- this loses its potency after being opened for 6 months. We suggest labeling the can with the date whenever you open a new one.
- ground nutmeg-- double check your spices are gluten and dairy free. The McCormick brand has been a safe brand to use.
- ground cinnamon
- ground cloves
- granulated sugar
- dairy free butter-- our go-to is Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. These sticks are soy free too.
- large eggs-- room temperature
- apple butter-- homemade or store bought works; keep scrolling for our brand suggestion
- dairy free yogurt-- we use So Delicious Coconutmilk Vanilla Yogurt. Use your favorite brand.
- confectioner's sugar
- apple cider-- apple juice or dairy free milk works too
- fresh grated nutmeg-- this step is optional, but it gives the glaze a unique taste and gorgeous, fresh speckled look. Or you can substitute with ground cinnamon.
kitchen essentials for this recipe
- electric stand mixer or handheld mixer
- large mixing bowls
- loaf pan-- this recipe works best in a 9x5-inch loaf pan or several mini loaf pans
- grater-- you will need a grater to grate the fresh nutmeg
- angled spatula-- we use these all the time in our kitchen for spreading frosting, icing, or glazes like this nutmeg glaze
frequently asked questions
what apple butter is best to use
If your homemade apple butter recipe or store bought label does not contain added sugar, we suggest increasing the sugar in this recipe to taste.
This will add even more decadent flavor to this quick bread recipe.
where do I find dairy free yogurt
The So Delicious Coconutmilk Yogurt our family enjoys has a location finder on their website here. We prefer the vanilla flavor in this recipe as it adds bonus flavor.
You can find this at Walmart, Target, Whole Foods, and several other large grocery brands.
Or use your go-to dairy free vanilla yogurt.
can this be baked ahead of time or frozen
Yes to both. This glazed Apple Spice Loaf bread can easily be baked 1-2 days ahead of time, covered, and stored on the counter. We recommend glazing the bread the day you will serve it.
After glazing and cutting into this bread, we recommend storing leftovers covered and in the refrigerator to keep the glaze from sticking to plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Freeze this bread covered and unglazed up to 3 months. After the bread has thawed on the countertop, add glaze.
BTW-- we have also enjoyed this bread recipe with out the glaze if you are looking to make this recipe even quicker or with less sugar.
We adapted our quick bread recipe from a similar traditional recipe included in The View from Great Island using safe gluten and dairy free substitutions.
more delicious quick bread recipes
- lemon poppy seed bread-- tender slices of bread with poopy seeds galore and topped with a thick lemon icing. And using fresh lemon zest and juice to make this bread recipe will make it pop with the most heavenly lemon taste and smell.
- pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting-- soft, moist, and flavored with yummy pumpkin and fall spices, topped with a rich and dreamy cream cheese frosting
- moist banana bread-- this bakery-style bread is moist, dense, and full of banana flavor. Bake this bread delicious as is or add dairy free chocolate chips to the quick bread batter.
Apple Spice Loaf Bread is a recipe to enjoy year-round, not just during apple season.
You can't go wrong with warm fall spices, delicious smooth apple butter, and creamy thick vanilla yogurt in this sweet, quick bread topped with a rich fresh nutmeg glaze.
Take the time to snoop around our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free, for more recipes, including weeknight meals suggestions, breakfast ideas the whole family will love, and desserts to bring family and friends together.
And all of our recipes are gluten and dairy free. Many are also soy, egg, peanut, and nut free too.
Follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Be sure to like and comment often so our posts stay in your feed.
We don't want you to miss out on the very best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Apple Spice Loaf Bread
- 2 c gluten free all-purpose flour spoon and leveled method, suggestion in post
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your GF all-purpose flour contains this or guar gum
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
Wet Batter Ingredients
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ½ c dairy free butter room temperature, suggestion in post
- 2 large eggs
- 1 c apple butter
- ½ c dairy free yogurt suggestion in post
- 1½ c confectioner's sugar
- 6-8 teaspoon apple cider apple juice or dairy free milk can be substituted
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg optional, ground cinnamon can also be used
Preparing the Batter
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together all the dry ingredients and set aside.
- With a standing mixer or handheld mixer, cream together the butter and sugar well.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Then stir in the apple butter.
- Next alternatively add the dry ingredients to the mixing bowl with the yogurt. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl frequently, but don't overmix.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of the loaf pan comes out clean.
- Allow the bread to cool completely before adding the glaze.
- In a large bowl, combine the confectioner's sugar with 6-8 teaspoon of apple cider (apple juice or dairy free milk work too).
- Add in the freshly grated nutmeg.
- Transfer the glaze to the refrigerator and allow to stiffen for 15-20 minutes.
- Then once the bread is completely cool, glaze the loaf using an angled spatula.
- Cut, serve, and enjoy.
Keep scrolling down to sign up for our exclusive emails.