Gluten and dairy free Mississippi Mud Cake is a delicious homemade chocolate cake, topped with melted, ultra gooey marshmallows and warm, rich chocolate frosting.
And just to warn you, pouring the melted chocolate frosting over the soft, mini marshmallows is so satisfying it will even intensify your gluten free and dairy free Mississippi Mud Cake cravings!
Plus you can top this cake with chopped pecans for an added crunch and more delicious flavor.
Most people we know suggest doubling the chopped nuts because they're just so good on this cake.
Here is a classic recipe your mom would've made for get-togethers.
We remember growing up and seeing this on the dessert table at holiday parties, family game nights, baby showers, and even graduation parties, not to mention this was a favorite birthday cake at parties with friends.
And with the recipe we are sharing with you, no one will even guess this cake is gluten and dairy free.
Another bonus to keep in mind when preparing this dessert is that it can be prepared 1-2 days in advance.
That is always a win-win for us. We love easy, make ahead recipes like this one.
This Mississippi Mud Cake includes a homemade chocolate cake with softened marshmallows and warm chocolate frosting drizzled across the top.
You will have to control yourself from licking the spoon and bowl every chance you get.
But before you can lick the spoon, check out these ingredients.
Chances are you will have most, if not all, of the ingredients already on hand.
gluten and dairy free Mississippi mud cake ingredients
- dairy free butter-- we use the vegan and soy free Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- gluten free all-purpose flour-- use the spoon and level method; we stock our pantry with Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. This flour blend does contain xanthan gum.
- xanthan gum-- omit if your all-purpose flour contains this or guar gum
- cocoa powder
- large eggs
- granulated sugar
- chopped pecans-- while these are completely optional they do add so much flavor to this cake
- vanilla extract-- we use the McCormick brand
- mini marshmallows-- the Dandies marshmallows do not contain any gluten or dairy; however, they do contain soy. Mini marshmallows can also be omitted and you can enjoy this cake more like a mini Texas sheet cake.
- powdered sugar
- dairy free milk-- any will work; we use unsweetened almond milk
- non-stick spray
kitchen gadgets for this cake recipe
- electric stand mixer with paddle attachment or handheld mixer
- large mixing bowl
- 9x13-inch baking pan with lid-- we have used this glass pan with lid for years
- angled spatula
- serving spatula
frequently asked questions
what is the difference between chocolate cake and Mississippi mud cake
A chocolate Mississippi Mud Cake recipe has a dense cake that cuts easily and does not crumb.
There is also a stronger chocolate flavor in the mud cake versus a traditional chocolate cake.
Needless to say-- this cake is all about the chocolate flavor.
can I use a chocolate cake mix
Yes, if you are short on time you can also use a gluten and dairy free chocolate cake box mix as the bottom layer.
Follow the box mix instructions for baking a 9x13-inch cake.
can this be prepared ahead of time
Not only is this gluten free and dairy free cake absolutely delicious, but it can also be prepared a day ahead of time with no troubles.
After frosting the cake and marshmallows, cover and set in the refrigerator.
what marshmallows are safe to use
The Dandies marshmallows are known as a safe gluten and dairy free brand.
However, this brand contains soy.
And if you just hate marshmallows or cannot find safe ones, leave them out and frost the cake with our delicious chocolate frosting.
how do I store leftovers
Cover and store in the refrigerator up to 5 days. Just before serving we like to allow the cake to sit on the countertop for 15-20 minutes.
more chocolate dessert recipes
We love dairy free chocolate recipes! You name it and you will find it on our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free.
In the meantime, here are a few bonus recipes to help with those chocolate cravings:
- chocolate bundt cake-- this decadent and fudgy cake is made from scratch, and comes together flawlessly every time. Drizzle our decadent chocolate ganache over the top for an amazing cake.
- chocolate peanut butter layer brownies-- our copycat Joanna Gaines recipe with a soft, fudgy brownie topped with peanut butter followed by a top layer of sweet chocolate and marshmallow mixture for the perfect brownie treat
- chocolate crinkle cookies-- like magic, these cookies transform from round balls into baked cookies with small crevices formed throughout the cookies where the chocolate peeks through, giving them a classic snowflake appearance
- chocolate banana bread-- large slices of bakery-style quick bread bursting with semi-sweet chocolate chips, Dutch-processed cocoa, and mashed bananas
- no bake cookies-- chocolate peanut butter covered oats formed into round-shaped cookies everyone loves
get our cookbook here
Grab our cookbook, The Classics, now and enjoy easy, delicious, stress-free meals immediately.
We have shared several of our favorite family recipes in this cookbook to take the stress out of mealtime.
Made from scratch this gluten and dairy free Mississippi Mud Cake is dense, decadent, gooey, and delicious with a bottom chocolate cake layer covered in softened mini marshmallows and then topped with warm chocolate frosting.
And if you enjoy chopped nuts, you can easily add these either into the cake batter or sprinkle across the cake for even more wonderful flavor. You won't regret it.
Plus if chocolate is your love language, save our chocolate buttercream recipe now.
Sign up for our exclusive emails too, so you don't miss a thing.
Follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram for more recipes, product alerts, and food tips to live your best gluten and dairy free life.
Eat well and feel well,
Gluten and Dairy Free Mississippi Mud Cake
Mississippi Mud Cake Ingredients
- 1 c dairy free butter 2 sticks, softened for 20 minutes on the countertop
- ⅓ c cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ c gluten free all-purpose flour spoon and level method,
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your flour blend contains xanthan gum or guar gum
- 1½ c chopped pecans optional
- 1 bag mini marshmallows
Mississippi Mud Cake Frosting Ingredients
- ½ c dairy free butter melted over stovetop
- 3½ c powdered sugar
- ¼ c dairy free milk
- ⅓ c cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Mississippi Mud Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl cream the butter and cocoa powder together.
- Add in the eggs, granulated sugar, vanilla extract, flour, and xanthan gum if needed.
- Pour into the baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and immediately spread the marshmallows evenly across the top of the cake. The marshmallows will melt slightly but keep their overall shape.
- Allow the marshmallows to cool partially and prepare the chocolate frosting.
- After the cake and marshmallows have partially cooled, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Next whisk in the powdered sugar, milk, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Stir for a minute.
- Then immediately pour the well blended frosting over the marshmallows and evenly spread with an angled spatula. The frosting will set quickly.
- If desired sprinkle top of the cake with chopped pecans. Refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes. then cut and serve.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.