Here is a cozy, golden Blueberry Crisp dessert bursting with fresh fruit flavor that tastes insanely wonderful. This dessert filling is thick and juicy with fresh blueberry flavor. Serve warm with a scoop of dairy free ice cream. Allow the ice cream to melt just a bit to make for the perfect warm and cold fruit dessert combination.
Use fresh blueberries from your garden, local farmer's market, or grocery store to throw this recipe together in just a matter of minutes!
This recipe doubles as an after dinner dessert or a midmorning brunch dish. And enjoy this warm, fruit dish at special occasions such as baby showers and family BBQ's.
This crisp has two ingredient components-- the blueberry filling and the crisp topping. Here are the ingredients you'll need (most of them you already have on hand) to bake this mouthwatering dessert.
blueberry crisp ingredients and baking utensils
- fresh blueberries-- 6 cups, stem removed, rinsed and dried
- cornstarch-- or arrowroot powder works too
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- fresh lemon juice--plan to use about half of one lemon. We use this citrus juicer to extract the juice easily. Fresh lemon juice always tastes best
- kosher salt
- gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats-- our go-to brand is this certified gluten free Bob's Red Mill sealable bag
- gluten free all-purpose flour-- by spoon, scoop the flour into the dry measuring cup. Level with a knife, known as the "scoop and level" method. Filling the measuring cup by plunging it into the flour bag and lifting it out will add extra flour to your recipe; sometimes as much as ¼ cup extra for every cup. We like using Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Mix for this recipe. We buy it in bulk here to save money.
- brown sugar-- packed
- baking soda-- this loses its potency after the container has been opened for 6 months. Consider labeling your container when you open it.
- baking powder-- same tip as above
- ground cinnamon-- always double check your ground spices are gluten free. We use this brand.
- dairy free butter-- Earth Balance Buttery sticks are our favorite. The red box is soy free and vegan.
- optional-- So Delicious Cocowhip or So Delicious dairy free vanilla ice cream
- pastry blender-- this is a must-have kitchen gadget for crisps and pies; we use ours often
- 9 x 9-inch baking dish-- we use our dish almost daily in the kitchen for our dinner recipes and desserts
are old-fashioned oats gluten free
While old-fashioned oats are naturally gluten free, they are known to become cross-contaminated with gluten during the harvesting and manufacturing process. If you are gluten free, you will want to use certified gluten free oats for this recipe.
We use Bob's Red Mill certified gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats in all our recipes that call for old-fashioned rolled oats.
how does blueberry crisp thicken
Adding cornstarch or arrowroot powder perfectly thickens up the blueberry filling in this recipe. When baking, be sure the filling is bubbling-hot to ensure the cornstarch is cooked enough to thicken the filling.
what enhances the flavor of blueberries
Just a tiny amountâ€”a squeeze of fresh lemon--enhances the berries' fruity flavor, much the same way vanilla extract complements chocolate. In this recipe you don't even taste the small amount of fresh lemon in the finished dessert, but it will add depth of flavor and complexity.
should I refrigerate a baked blueberry crisp
Nope! Just cover it with a lid, foil or plastic wrap and keep it on your countertop for up to 2 days.
what to do with leftovers
While Blueberry Crisp leftovers are rarely a thing in our home, when it does happen they're consumed at breakfast the following morning. These make for the best leftovers at breakfast too!
When leftovers happen, cover the baking dish and place on the countertop up to 2 days. Reheat leftovers in the microwave when ready to enjoy.
more fruit dessert recipes you will love
- classic apple crisp-- another delicious fruit crisp recipe to have on hand and enjoy year-round
- mini blueberry galettes-- flakey and buttery galettes bursting with juicy blueberry flavor with a hint of fresh lemon
- strawberry rhubarb cobbler-- bubbling sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb topped with an easy, buttery golden crumble make this recipe a must. And top with a dollop of dairy free ice cream for the perfect cozy dessert.
- banana bread-- warm slices of banana bread are always a winning idea. Load this recipe up with dairy free chocolate chips or enjoy as it is.
- strawberry poke cake-- a moist, fresh and fun classic cake made with a cake mix, infused with strawberry jello, whipped topping, and fresh sliced strawberries
- apple fritter bread-- this bread has wonderful, cozy chunks of apples, sugar, and ground cinnamon. Enjoy slices for breakfast, dessert, or as a midday snack.
- deep fried apple fritters-- here's an old-fashioned, deep-fried comforting fruit dessert with apple slices and cinnamon
Warm, right out of the oven bubbly Blueberry Crisp makes a quick dessert that never disappoints. The blueberry filling is so thick and delicious, while the golden crisp topping is everything you dreamed it would be.
Served with dairy free whipped topping or a scoop of dairy free vanilla ice cream, this dessert is always a great idea.
And you'll find recipes for every occasion on our website-- including holidays!
Just because you're eating gluten and dairy free doesn't mean the holidays have to be a food curse or bore. You'll find the most delicious, safe recipes here.
Be sure to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Like and comment often to keep having our posts show up in your feed.
We do not want you to miss the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
- 6 c fresh blueberries stems removed, rinsed, and dried
- 3 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ⅓ c granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- dash kosher salt
- 1 c gluten free old-fashioned rolled oats suggestion in post
- 1 c gluten free all-purpose flour scooped and leveled, suggestion in post
- 1 c brown sugar packed
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ c dairy free butter cold and cut into small pieces
- optional-- top baked crisp with dairy free ice cream or whipped topping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9x9-inch baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently toss all blueberry filling ingredients and transfer evenly into the baking dish.
- Next in another large bowl combine all crisp topping ingredients except the butter.
- Then add in the cubed butter and blend with the pastry blender until the mixture is pea-sized crumbles.
- Top blueberries with crumble topping and bake for 35 minutes. The blueberry juice will be bubbling up on the sides of the baking dish.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with a scoop of dairy free ice cream or whipped topping.
- Cover leftovers and leave on the countertop up to 2 days. Reheat when ready to enjoy.
And sign up below for our exclusive emails. You'll receive new recipes, brand giveaways, new product alerts, and tips for living your best gluten and dairy free delivered right to your inbox.