Banana Bread with overripe bananas is one of the most famous quick bread recipes there is. Now take this recipe to the next level with a rich and creamy bakery-style cream cheese frosting over the top. Suddenly this gluten free and dairy free Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting becomes your new family favorite for breakfast, as a grab-and-go work snack, and for an after dinner sweet treat.
As an added bonus you can also add to the banana bread batter semisweet chocolate chips or toasted chopped walnuts.
There is something about banana bread that’s magical, cozy, delicious, and it never goes out of style. This is a classic recipe taken to the next level with cream cheese frosting.
Super moist, perfectly sweet, and now this bread is topped with a sweet, tart cream cheese frosting sure to impress everyone. Enjoy slices of this quick bread out of the refrigerator, and you won’t be able to stop yourself from grabbing another.
And you can share this with loved ones at potlucks, family get-togethers, baby showers, and so much more. Or bake a loaf now and freeze for a special event down the road.
banana bread with cream cheese ingredients
- dairy free butter— our go-to is Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- brown sugar— packed
- large eggs— room temperature
- vanilla extract
- overripe bananas— use overripe bananas off the countertop or thaw frozen bananas in the refrigerator
- gluten free all-purpose flour— use the spoon and level method. Our favorite flour blend is Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. We buy it in bulk here to save money.
- xanthan gum— omit if your gluten free all-purpose flour blend contains this or guar gum
- baking soda— once the container is opened this loses its potency after 6 months. We suggest labeling the container with the date you open it.
- ground cinnamon— we use the McCormick brand of seasonings and spices
- kosher salt
- dairy free cream cheese— there are several brands on the market. Our go-to is the Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese Alternative. Keep scrolling to learn more.
- powdered sugar
- optional— dairy free semisweet chocolate chips, chopped walnuts
- nonstick spray
kitchen essentials and gadgets for this recipe
- handheld mixer or electric stand mixer— or you can also use a good old-fashioned big spoon; however plan for more mixing time
- measuring cups
- 9×5-inch loaf pan
- disposable mini loaf pans for gifting
- angled spatula— we use several different sizes throughout the week; they make frosting and getting food evenly into baking dishes so much easier
- loaf plate
frequently asked questions
what does this term “spoon and level” mean
If you aren’t familiar with this method, we suggest reading about it in our Caramel Apple Cookie post. We go into much more detail because this is so important with any baking you do.
what cream cheese can we use
Wonderful dairy free cream cheese options have taken grocery store shelves by storm the past couple of years. We can remember only having one option for several years. Nowadays our favorite for this recipe is the Kite Hill Plain Cream Cheese. Their “where to buy” locator is here. However, use your favorite brand.
how do we store this
Store unfrosted banana bread in an airtight container on the counter for up to 4 days, though our bread never lasts this long. And then once frosted we store our Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
can we freeze this
Yes. We recommend freezing the gluten free and dairy free bread before frosting with cream cheese frosting.
After the bread has been removed from the loaf pan and completely cooled, seal it well in an airtight container or zippered bag. This can be frozen up to 2 months. Thaw at room temperature, then frost with this yummy frosting, slice and serve.
more quick bread recipes you will love
- lemon poppy seed bread— we devour this in a day. It’s so moist, lemony, and wonderful with little crackles of poppy seed topped with a wonderful lemon drizzle.
- pumpkin chocolate chip bread— this recipe is loaded with mouthwatering fall flavor and our favorite semisweet chocolate morsels. This classic, sweet quick loaf recipe is always a hit with family and friends.
- apple spice loaf— anything but ordinary, this recipe is extraordinarily moist and deliciously flavored with apple butter
- pumpkin bread with cream cheese frosting— there is something so cozy about this bread, so we enjoy it year-round. And it is always our favorite when we travel. There’s nothing like enjoying slices of this yummy bread with classic spices and pumpkin when you arrive at your destination.
3 dinner dinner recipes to try now
Here are 3 easy and hearty recipes we have on the menu for this week. And the kids cannot wait to dish up. So pin these recipes too and make a list of the ingredients you need– Sun-Dried Tomato Alfredo Sauce, Fried Rice, and homemade Manicotti.
This gluten free and dairy free Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting is hard to make last more than a day in our home. Our family turns into cute little vultures eating slice after slice of this homemade bread. It smells so comforting, is perfectly moist, and that frosting is over-the-top wonderful.
You will find so many more safe breakfast, dinner, dessert, and snack ideas on our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free. Plus we also have recipes for every occasion and holiday.
And did you know we have compiled a post of our favorite 50+ Kid Snacks? Or we have shared another post with TSA Approved Foods? You will want to snoop around our website because it is packed with recipes and lifestyle hacks to help you navigate eating “free from.”
Follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. We don’t want you to miss the absolute very best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Banana Bread with Cream Cheese Frosting
Banana Bread Ingredients
- ½ c dairy free butter room temperature for 20 minutes on the countertop
- ¾ c brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 overripe bananas mushed thawed frozen bananas work too
- 2 c gluten free all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp xanthan gum omit if your gluten free flour blend contains this or guar gum
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- optional– 1 cup dairy free semisweet chocolate chips or ¾ cup toasted, chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
- ¼ c dairy free butter room temperature for 20 minutes
- 4 oz dairy free cream cheese room temperature
- 1½ c powdered sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
Banana Bread Instructions
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly spray 9×5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray; set aside.
- In a large bowl, use a hand mixer or electric stand mixer to cream together the butter and brown sugar.
- Then add in the vanilla extract, eggs, and mashed bananas. Combine well.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, xanthan gum if needed, baking soda, salt, and ground cinnamon.
- Next add the dry ingredients and any semisweet chocolate chips or roasted walnut bits into the wet mixture. Combine just until incorporated.
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and bake for 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the loaf pan comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before removing the bread from the pan and placing on a cooling rack.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- In a medium bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese until smooth. Then add and blend the powdered sugar and vanilla extract until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- If needed refrigerate the frosting for 20 minutes. Or if it is thick and and already stiff, frost over the top of the cooled banana bread loaf. Cut and serve.
- The cream cheese frosting tastes best when enjoyed cold.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers. For tips on freezing see the post.
Keep scrolling to sign up for our exclusive emails below.