Use this recipe to make a Delicious French Dip sandwich safely at home with a mouthwatering Au Jus dipping sauce on the side. This tasty sandwich with thin layers of roast beef, onion, and bell pepper nestled in a soft baguette will satisfy your hunger cravings and leave you completely comforted.
This warm, savory sandwich is a must for your next family dinner. Sandwiched are fun and simple to make too. You’ll love the simplicity of this homemade recipe.
Shockingly, I had never tasted a French dip sandwich until our recent Norwegian Cruise. And all I can say is I’d definitely been missing out!
Really, my whole family had been.
Needless to say when we returned from our cruise I was determined to recreate this mouthwatering sandwich in my kitchen. And of course it would need to be gluten and dairy free! So I went into recipe experiment mood with different ingredients, cheese brands,Â and breads styles.
In the end I came up with a delicious French dip sandwich that is gluten and dairy free and an absolute must try.
Imagine thinly sliced deli roast beefÂ with sautÃ©ed onions and bell peppers placed between layers of a toasted French baguette dipped into a flavorful Au Jus. It’s mouthwatering!
Don’t miss out on this tantalizing lunch or dinner meal any longer! This deliciously drippy gluten and dairy free French dip is a knock out meal idea.
French dip sandwich ingredients
- vegetable oil
- bell pepper– add more if preferred
- garlic clove
- black pepper
- cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- Worcestershire sauce–Â this is gluten free in the US. Here is their allergen statement.
- beef broth
- gluten free rolls/ baguettes— we use Udi’s Baguettes, MyBread Bakery Baguettes and Dinner Rolls, and toasted bread
- dairy free cheese slices– Follow My Heart Smoked Gouda Slices work well, and often times we don’t use anythingÂ
delicious French dip sandwich recipe notes
- First, rinse and dry a bell pepper. Then thinly slice the onion and pepper.
- Â Next, melt the oil or dairy alternative butter in a large skillet over medium heat. After the skillet has heated sautÃ© the onions, minced garlic, sliced bell peppers, salt and black pepper for several minutes until the bell pepper slices are softened. Remove from the skillet and set aside.
- Then add the arrowroot powder to the heated skillet. Cornstarch also works. Add in 2 tablespoons of beef broth. Stir arrowroot powder and broth to form a paste.
- To this paste add the gluten free Worcestershire sauce and remaining broth.
- After the juice comes to a boil, reduce heat. Allow this Au Jus to simmer for 15 minutes.
- Then add in the sliced deli roast beef. Always double check your deli meat is gluten and dairy free. Some brands add in flavorings to their deli meats.
- In the meantime prepare your bread. Your gluten and dairy free bread choices are endless. Since you will be dipping your bread in the Au Jus you need something that won’t fall apart. We listed our suggestions above.
- Place au jus in ramekin dishes. One doesn’t need to purchase these cute little dishes just for this meal. This gluten and dairy free French dip sandwich will taste just as delicious with the au jus in a soup bowl. However ramekin dishes are so fun to use in cooking.Â
- Lastly top the bottom of the baguette with meat, onions, bell peppers, and cheese if desired. If using cheese place sandwich back into the oven at 400 F to melt cheese on low heat for 5-8 minutes.
- I prefer using Follow Your Heart smoked Gouda slices for dairy free alternatives. This product is gluten and dairy free and also soy free, vegan, Non-GMO, and casein free too. Undoubtedly, I’ve found people either love dairy free cheese or hate it. My kids prefer to go without the dairy free cheese on their French dip sandwiches. On the other hand I enjoy the extra smoky flavor.
- Serve with steamed broccoli or maybe your favorite chips on the side.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3-4 days. Reheat when ready to enjoy.
more gluten + dairy free meal ideas
- 6 delicious pantry meal ideas— you’ll find new recipe favorites in this round up using ingredients you already have on hand from your pantry or freezer
- oven roasted salmon— the best marinade over perfectly roasted salmon
- cowboy hamburger soup— this easy-to-make hearty soup have all your favorites together in every bite
I love the simplicity of this recipe. It’s easy to throw together for a quick homemade meal. And the tender roast beef with sautÃ©ed onions and bell peppers on a toasted baguette with melted dairy free cheese along side this Au Jus is amazing. This is definitely a recipe to add to your menu planning.
Please follow along on Facebook, Instagram, and Pinterest. You’ll be the first to know about new gluten and dairy free recipes, meal ideas, and new products alerts.
And sign up for my exclusive emails below.
Eat well and feel well,
Delicious French Dip Sandwich
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper, long thin slices
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tbsp arrowroot powder, cornstarch works too
- 2 tbsp gluten free Worcestershire sauce
- 32 oz box beef broth, divided
- 1 lb deli roast beef or ham, sliced thin
- gluten free rolls, bread, baguettes
- dairy free cheese slices, Follow Your Heart Gouda cheese works
- Melt oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Once heated add sliced onions, bell peppers, salt, black pepper, and garlic to skillet. Saute until tender. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add arrowroot powder to skillet and 2 tbsp of beef broth. Stir to make a paste.
- Add gluten free Worcestershire sauce and remaining beef broth to skillet and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Toast bread in oven or toaster. If using rolls or baguette split with a knife. Preheat oven for cheese if using. For Udi's French Rolls or French Baguettes wrap each piece in aluminum foil and place on a baking tray in the oven.
- Add sliced roast beef or ham to skillet and warm for 5 minutes.
- Place sliced roast beef/ham mixture on bottom of bread. Top with onion and bell pepper slices. Cover with cheese and melt in oven for 5-8 minutes.
- Place top bread slice on sandwich and serve with Au Jus in ramekins or small dipping bowl.
A proper shout goes to Cincyshopper for posting a similar recipe. Her recipe inspired this delicious gluten and dairy free sandwich option.