Bubbling sweet strawberries and tart rhubarb topped with an easy, buttery crispy crumble make this Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble a recipe must. And top with a dollop of dairy free ice cream for the perfect cozy dessert.
The combination of fresh strawberries, rhubarb, and a hint of lemon is amazingly perfect together in this recipe. You can enjoy this warm out of the oven dessert with family and friends.
We'd even go so far as to say you'll start to crave this every spring as the grass greens.
This recipe all began when the hubs got me hooked on rhubarb desserts after we were married.
Honestly, I don't know how I lived without this warm, delicious crumble dessert for so long.
Maybe you've got an abundance of rhubarb in your garden this year or have been noticing it at the Farmers Market. Or maybe you're like the hubs and every spring you just need a fresh rhubarb recipe in your life.
Either way we've been in a frenzy to take pictures and share this must-try recipe with you.
Recipe ingredients with notes
Get more info on these ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of the post.
- dairy free butter-- we use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks. The "red box" is vegan and soy free too.
- baking powder-- keep in mind baking powder looses it's potency after being opening for 6 months. Always bake with fresh powder.
- granulated sugar
- brown sugar-- fresh and packed
- all-purpose gluten free flour-- our go-to blends are Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour and Mama's Almond Blend. We purchase the Bob's Red Mill brand in bulk off of Amazon to save money.
- xanthan gum-- omit if your gluten free blend contains this or guar gum in the blend
- lemon zest
- fresh strawberries
- fresh rhubarb
- lemon juice-- fresh squeezed tastes best
- cornstarch-- arrowroot powder can be substituted
- toppings-- So Delicious CocoWhip. Or a dairy free ice cream such as So Delicious Vanilla Bean Ice Cream is so good. Both of these are also soy and egg free.
- leftovers-- cover and refrigerate any leftovers up to 3 days. We enjoy any leftovers for breakfast too.
- Lastly, double your measurements to bake in a 9 x 13' pan.
more recipes you'll love
- banana pudding-- this thick and creamy dessert looks and tastes amazing layered with gluten free vanilla wafer and creamy cocowhip
- carrot cake bars-- you'll love how easy this recipe is to bake in a 9x13-inch pan. Same great taste as a 3 tiered carrot cake, but instead using the simplicity of an easier pan. And this recipe includes a delicious gluten and dairy free brown sugar cream cheese frosting.
- lemon poppy seed bread-- this bakery style bread is full of fresh lemon flavor and slightly crunch from the poppy seeds. Family and friends rave about this recipe.
- cookies and cream parfait-- the layers of this parfait are decadent! Imagine crushed gluten and dairy free Oreos with a thickened chocolate pudding and cocowhip. This recipe tastes decadent.
- monster cookies-- enjoy all your favorites in this classic cookies recipe with gluten free oats, creamy peanut butter, chocolate chips, and crunchy chocolate candies
reader favorite dinner meals
- oriental chicken salad-- bursting with fresh, crisp flavors this salad copycat Applebee's salad is our favorite. This recipe makes for a delicious dinner or use it to meal prep for several easy lunches
- homemade sloppy joes-- here's our go-to easy peasy dinner recipe for busy nights with gluten free buns. And we love it when there are leftovers for an even easier dinner the following night
- grilled Hawaiian BBQ chicken pizza- in this recipe you'll not only get a delicious pizza recipe but also a step by step guide to grilling with gluten and dairy free pizza dough
We hope you enjoy this classic gluten and dairy free strawberry rhubarb crumble recipe year after year. With simple ingredients, this is one of our favorite sprint time desserts that is packed with so much flavor.
Has there ever been a better dessert for the spring and summer time?
Speaking of summer-- did you know we have our food camping guide packed full of safe gluten and dairy free breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack ideas! You'll enjoy your best camping trips with these yummy recipes.
And if your needing snack ideas for the kids this summer pin this Easy Kid Snacks with over 50 kid approved snacks and dips to ease the stress of summer.
Be sure to follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. Comment and like our posts often so you don't miss out on the best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Strawberry Rhubarb Crumble
- 8 tablespoon dairy free butter suggestion in post
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ c granulated sugar
- ½ c brown sugar, packed
- 1 ¼ c all-purpose gluten free flour suggestions in post
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum (omit if your flour blend contains this)
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, half a lemon
- pinch of salt
Strawberry Rhubarb Filling
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and chopped
- 1 ½ c chopped rhubarb
- ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ c cornstarch
- ½ c granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- dairy free ice cream So Delicious Vanilla Bean is GF and DF
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Wash and dry strawberries and rhubarb. Hull and chop strawberries and chop rhubarb for recipe.
- In a pie plate or 9 x 9-inch pan mix all filling ingredients. Let mixture stand for 10 minutes while you prepare the crumble.
- In a medium bowl, melt butter. Add rest of crumble ingredients and mix well. It will form clumps. Spread the crumble topping evenly over the filling mixture with your fingers.
- Place pie plate on large baking sheet in case filling bubbles over pie plate.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown in places.
- Remove from oven and allow the crumble to sit for 15 minutes before serving with ice cream. The crumble filling will thicken as it rests.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.