Spaghetti Pie is loaded with a layer of hearty meat sauce over creamy and buttery ricotta spaghetti noodles garnished with fresh chopped herbs and dairy free cheese for an easy dinner recipe the whole family will enjoy. Cut and dish this up like pie.
This dinner recipe is a fun twist on easy Italian ingredients made into a delicious casserole to serve loved ones.
This entire dish is comfort food. Spaghetti Pie is warm, cozy, and feels like a meal your mama would have fixed. Plus this is a recipe to be enjoyed year-round, even in the summer months when you still need those heartfelt meals.
Leftover alert— We use this recipe often when we have leftover pasta sauce in the refrigerator. Then this dish becomes the most delicious leftovers… plus it is ready in just minutes.
And you will notice as you scroll below, we have ingredients listed for a homemade pasta sauce. While we love making our homemade sauce, there are times you just need an easy store-bought pasta sauce to get dinner on the table. Feel free to use your favorite store-bought sauce to make this gluten free, dairy free, and soy free dinner the easiest ever!
Plus this can be a meatless recipe by leaving out the ground beef! You won’t comprise the recipe by skipping this ingredient.
spaghetti pie ingredients
- gluten free spaghetti noodles— we prefer using long and slender spaghetti noodles for this dish. You can also use angel hair or fettuccini. Our go-to gluten free brand is Tinkyada Brown Rice Pasta.
- grapeseed oil— or your favorite cooking oil
- ground beef— turkey can be used or omit the meat for a meatless recipe
- sweet onion— thinly diced
- canned fire roasted crushed tomatoes— the fire roasted tomatoes add so much bonus flavor
- tomato sauce
- granulated sugar
- dried basil leaves— we use McCormick brand spices and ground herbs
- dried oregano
- garlic powder
- ground pepper
- large egg— this can be omitted if need. While it helps to hold the noodles together during cutting, serving, and eating, you can remove the egg from the recipe.
- dairy free butter— Earth Balance Buttery Sticks are easy to use in this recipe
- dairy free ricotta— this is an optional ingredient; we use Kite Hill Ricotta
- grated dairy free parmesan— Violife Parmesan Wedge is our go-to. Again, this is an optional ingredient, so if you cannot find this locally or don’t want to spend the money on dairy free cheese, you can still enjoy this gluten free and dairy free recipe
- optional— fresh chopped basil or parsley, and dairy free shredded cheddar cheese. Continue scrolling to read more about dairy free cheese suggestions.
- nonstick spray
kitchen essentials and gadgets
- 9-inch deep dish pie plate or 9-inch baking dish
- large stock pan
- large sauce pan
- food strainer
- cheese grater
frequently asked questions
which dairy free ricotta is best
While you can skip this recipe ingredient altogether, we do like the taste of dairy free ricotta in Spaghetti Pie. Our go-to brand is Kite Hill Ricotta which is gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegan, and non-GMO. There are also several DIY recipes on Pinterest.
can this be made ahead of time
Yes! Oftentimes we will prepare this dish in the morning, cover, and refrigerate until we are ready to bake and serve for dinner. You can also use leftover pasta sauce from a previous meal or meal prep this sauce days in advance and refrigerate.
We would not recommend freezing this dish because gluten free pasta noodles have a reputation for being finicky and can go from yum to mush quite quickly.
what brand of dairy free cheese did you use
First, keep in mind our family enjoyed this dish for years without dairy free cheese or ricotta because there simply wasn’t any! As in no dairy free cheese at the grocery story– period. In the past few years the market has exploded with dairy free cheese options.
And we can all agree– what you like best might not be what we like best.
So overall, use your favorite dairy free cheese. We do not have a favorite yet. We did link what we use in the ingredients above, so scroll back and check those out.
But give this recipe a go even if you do not have dairy free cheese available locally. This twist on simple spaghetti is fun for the whole family.
side dish ideas
Side dishes with any Italian recipe are always a win. First you can start off with a small salad such as our Wedge Salad with homemade croutons or this Applebee’s copycat Oriental Salad with the most mouthwatering dressing from our website.
Next serve this Spaghetti Pie casserole alongside our gluten and dairy free Green Bean Casserole dish, steamed green beans, or sautéed mushrooms.
more dinner recipes to try
- manicotti— stuffed manicotti noodles filled with soft spinach and creamy ricotta filling in a pan of perfectly seasoned ground beef and marinara sauce, then topped with fresh parsley. The whole family enjoys this.
- taco stuffed peppers— with seasoned lean ground beef or turkey, sweet corn, black beans and a zesty enchilada sauce topped with dairy free cheese and sour cream with fresh cilantro garnishes. This homemade meal is healthy, easy to make, and oh so good.
- sloppy joes— perfectly flavored ground hamburger, diced onions, ketchup, mustard, and other seasonings between warm, toasted buttery buns for such an easy dinner when you are rushed and on the go.
Did you know we have an eBook, The Classics, with 16 breakfast, dinner, and dessert recipes our family and readers rave about? Click here to learn more and purchase.
This cozy spaghetti and meat sauce baked and served like a pie is always a hit in our home. As a kid growing up Spaghetti Pie was served, and we’ve continued having this family favorite on our dinner menu– even when dairy free cheese and ricotta aren’t available locally.
Moreover gluten free and dairy free cooking has never been easier. That being said, if you find yourself struggling for breakfast, dinner, special occasion, or safe holiday recipes, snoop around our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free.
We have taken the stress out of cooking by sharing our favorite recipes with you.
Plus follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. “Like” often to keep seeing our posts in your feed.
We don’t want you to miss the absolute best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
- 10 oz gluten free spaghetti noodles prepared according to box directions
Homemade Pasta Sauce or 2 cups (16 oz) of a Store Bought Jar
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil or cooking oil
- ½ sweet onion finely diced
- ½ lb ground beef ground turkey works too
- 15 oz fire roasted crushed tomatoes canned
- 8 oz tomato sauce canned
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ground pepper to taste
- ¼ c dairy free ricotta
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp dairy free butter cut into small cubes
- ¼ c dairy free parmesan shredded
- optional garnishes– chopped basil or parsley and more dairy free cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and lightly spray a 9-inch deep dish pie plate or baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to box directions.
- While the pasta boils and softens, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in onion and cook until translucent, then transfer the ground beef to the saucepan and break into small pieces and brown on medium heat.
- After the meat has browned, remove the excess oil.
- Then add in the remaining sauce ingredients, stir and simmer on low while you prepare the noodle mixture.
- Once noodle are softened, drain the water. With gluten free noodles you need to run cold water over the noodles and drain again to remove the excess starch.
- Then add the remaining noodle ingredients and toss to coat the noodles well.
- Add the noodle mixture evenly to the pie plate. Top with the pasta mixture.
- Top with any additional cheese, cover the dish with aluminum foil and transfer to the oven for 20-22 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into wedges and severing. Top with fresh chopped basil or parsley as desired.
- Cover and refrigerate leftovers.
And keep scrolling to sign up for our exclusive emails below.