You want to try this refreshing, moist Orange Velvet Pound Cake that stands out from a crowd of other desserts. This tropical recipe combines fresh orange zest with shredded coconut for an absolutely delicious tasting cake. And our orange glaze brings the velvety pound cake and frosting flavors together for an absolutely incredible slice.
Honestly speaking the orange and coconut gives this dessert such fun flavor. And the color of this Orange Velvet Bundt Cake is absolutely gorgeous. It literally lights up the dessert table.
Enjoy sharing this recipe with family and friends at Easter, for Mother's Day brunch, the 4th of July, work potlucks, summer BBQ's, picnics, or any other cookout out you plan. Then if there happens to be any leftovers savor them for breakfast the morning after.
And furthermore, this gluten free, dairy free, and soy free recipe doesn't taste like it is missing anything. You won't have any problems feeding this to a crowd.
Every slice is tender and dense, while bursting with fresh orange flavor. And you will notice a very subtle buttery flavor to make this recipe taste so velvety.
orange velvet pound cake ingredients
Get more info on these ingredients in the recipe card at the bottom of the post (here is where we share the brands we suggest because we get so many questions about them)
- dairy free butter-- room temperature for 10 minutes, we use Earth Balance Buttery Sticks
- granulated sugar
- large eggs-- room temperature
- almond extract-- optional, adds lovely depth of flavor
- grated orange zest-- careful to not grate any of the bitter white pith
- gluten free all-purpose flour-- spoon and level method; our go-to is Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour. And we buy it in bulk here to save money over purchasing it locally.
- xanthan gum-- omit if your gluten free all-purpose flour contains this or guar gum
- baking powder-- once the container is opened the baking powder looses its potency after 6 months. We always suggest labeling your container when you first open it with the date.
- baking soda-- follow the previously mentioned tip for baking powder
- kosher salt
- fresh squeezed orange juice-- we always recommend fresh over bottled orange juice in our recipes. Keep scrolling to read about our experience with bottled orange juice.
- shredded coconut-- this optional step adds wonderful flavor and texture to the bundt cake recipe
luscious orange drizzle glaze
- fresh squeezed orange juice-- using fresh is best. We don't recommend using bottled orange juice. Keep reading below for our experience with bottled orange juice in this recipe.
- finely grated orange zest
- powdered sugar-- we enjoy a thick orange drizzle over our velvety cake. You can make this glaze as thick or runny as you like. For a thick glaze add more powered sugar, for a runnier glaze add less.
frequently asked questions
what is the texture of a bundt cake
Bundt cakes are denser in texture without being overly gooey. This way the cake will slide out of the pan more easily and maintain its shape out of the pan. We would not suggest using any cake recipe in a bundt pan, instead only if the recipe offers this suggestion
can bottled orange juice be used
We suggest using fresh orange juice in this recipe because you never know how added ingredients to bottled orange juice will interact with the orange glaze ingredients.. In the past we used bottled orange juice and the glaze ended up tasting bitter. Ugh.. it was disappointing. Since then we always stick to fresh orange juice.
can this cake be baked ahead of time
Yes, you can prepare and bake this refreshing cake 1-2 days ahead of time. We suggest after the cake has completely cooled you wrap it well with plastic wrap. Drizzle with our gluten free and dairy free orange glaze recipe just before serving.
do you have more bundt cake recipes
Yes! We have our dreamy Chocolate Bundt Cake recipe with 2-ingredient chocolate ganache drizzle and our classic Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake with lemon drizzle on the website. Pin them both now so you have the recipes already saved and at your fingertips when you need them.
This delicious Orange Velvet Bundt Cake recipe was inspired by a similar recipe found on the Imperial Sugar website. We substituted our favorite gluten free and dairy free ingredients to safely share with you a delicious, fresh bundt cake to share with family and friends.
more favorite springtime recipes
- homemade green bean casserole-- a comfort food side dish with homemade creamy mushroom soup, tender green beans, and crispy French fried onions for the perfect addition to your meal
- creamy mashed potatoes-- this recipe has a secret ingredient to give you the best mashed potato recipe every. single. time.
- grilled shish kabobs-- you will definitely want to fire up the grill for this easy dinner idea. Load each kabob with your favorite meats, veggies, and use our mouthwatering marinade for tender and flavorful shish kabobs
- carrot cake loaf cake-- enjoy slice after slice of loaf bread with plump raisins, crushed pineapple, shredded carrots, chopped walnuts, and a dreamy brown sugar cream cheese frosting
- peanut butter layer brownies-- using our copycat Joanna Gaines recipe family and friends will be melting over these layered brownies. They are wonderful to enjoy any time of the year.
- banana pudding-- creamy layers of homemade pudding, sliced ripened bananas, vanilla wafer cookies, and whipped topping to satisfy your sweet tooth
- strawberry poke cake-- a classic recipe just like grandma used to make by poking holes in a vanilla cake and soak with strawberry Jell-O. Then top the cake with a creamy, cold whipped topping and loads of fresh, sweet strawberry slices.
You never knew how bad your dessert table needed this Orange Velvet Pound Cake with a dreamy orange glaze. The tropical look and feel of this cake proudly announces spring has sprung!
This recipe is a guaranteed hit.
For more gluten free and dairy free recipes look around our website, Eating Gluten and Dairy Free, now. We have recipes for every occasion and holiday.
Follow along on Facebook, Pinterest, and Instagram. We share new recipes, life hacks to eat your best, our favorite safe products, and brand giveaways. Like and comment often so our posts keep showing up in your feed.
We don't want you to miss the very best of eating gluten and dairy free.
Eat well and feel well,
Orange Velvet Bundt Cake
Orange Velvet Bundt Cake
- 1½ c dairy free butter 3 sticks, room temperature for 20 minutes on the countertop
- 2½ c granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoon grated orange zest no white bitter pith
- 3¼ c gluten free all-purpose flour spoon and level method
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum omit if your gf all-purpose flour contains this or guar gum
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 c fresh squeezed orange juice
- ¾ c shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoon fine grated orange zest
- 1¼ c powdered sugar sifted, more for a thicker glaze, less for a thin and runny glaze
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spread a thin layer of shortening or dairy free butter evenly over a 9 or 10-inch bundt pan. Then evenly coat the inside of the pan with gluten free flour and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or a handheld mixer, cream the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Then add in the sugar and eggs one at a time. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Next add in the almond extract and orange zest and combine.
- In a large bowl sift together the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients into the mixing bowl and the fresh squeezed orange juice. Lastly stir in the coconut.
- Transfer the bundt cake batter to the pan. Bake for 70-75 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove the cake pan from the oven and allow to set for 10 minutes. Then with a large serving plate on top of the baking pan turn the pan upside down. Remove the pan and allow the cake to cool completely on the serving plate.
- Prepare the glaze ingredients and drizzle evenly over the cooled cake.
- Cover and refrigerate any leftovers.
And lastly sign up for our exclusive emails.